Szechuan Vegan Mapo Tofu 麻婆豆腐 - meet this classic and innovative modern take on this Chinese dish. It has a nice firm bite that goes really well with the creamy softness of tofu with extra lip-tingling heat from Szechuan peppercorns!
Call it Vegan Mapo Tofu 2.0. After our Not So Spicy Mapo Tofu recipe shared not too long ago made with mushrooms, I decided to make this classic home-cooked Chinese Cantonese dish with plant-based burger patties. I used Impossible Foods plant-based patty for a healthier vegetarian mapo tofu version. Quick, easy recipe in 15 minutes Chinese recipe!
If you feel like you need an extra dose of veggies, add some diced carrots. Make sure to cook it thoroughly until softened. The worst thing is biting into mapo tofu with hard crunchy pieces.
The amount of heat you want in this dish is entirely up to you! Sichuan peppercorns are very spicy with a long lingering burn. And the black bean sauce with garlic is very salty. It is important to start with a little, taste, and adjust to your preference. Always taste throughout making this recipe.
If it is too bland, add more black bean sauce. Personally I like adding another tablespoon of sichuan peppercorn, but it is your mapo tofu, not mine.Print
Szechuan Vegan Mapo Tofu 麻婆豆腐 – meet this classic and innovative modern take on this Chinese dish. It has a nice firm bite that goes really well with the creamy softness of tofu with extra lip-tingling heat from Szechuan peppercorns!
Call this Mapo Tofu 2.0. After our Not So Spicy Mapo Tofu recipe shared not too long ago made with mushrooms, I decided to make this classic home-cooked Chinese Cantonese dish with plant-based burger patties. I used Impossible Foods plant-based patty for a healthier vegetarian mapo tofu version. Quick, easy recipe in 15 minutes Chinese recipe!
- 200g Impossible Burger (plant-based meat alternative)
- 400g Firm Tofu, cubed (or silken tofu if you prefer)
- 2 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon light soy sauce
- 1 tablespoon dark soy sauce
- ½ tablespoon black bean sauce with garlic
- 1 tablespoon Szechuan peppercorn, more if you prefer spicier
- 3 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 6 cloves garlic, minced
- 1.5 teaspoon corn starch
- 2 cups vegetable broth
- 1 stalk of green onions, finely chopped for garnish
- drizzle of XO chili oil to taste
- ½ small carrot, diced (optional)
- white jasmine rice for serving
- In a heavy bottomed non-stick Wok or Cast Iron, heat oil over medium high heat. Let the oil simmer, not smoke.
- Sautee garlic, ginger and onions, stir for 30 seconds.
- Break apart Impossible Burger into the pan. Stir until golden browned and fragrant, about 5 mins. Remove from pan and set aside.
- In the same heavy bottomed non-stick Wok or Cast Iron over medium high heat, stir together light soy sauce, dark soy sauce, black bean sauce with garlic, Szechuan peppercorns, and 2 cups of vegetable broth and bring to a simmer. Add in carrots and cook for 3 minutes or until carrots are soft.
- In a separate small bowl, dissolve 1.5 teaspoons of corn starch into cold water, add this mixture into your pot, and stir evenly. Add more if you prefer your mapo tofu thicker.
- Add your previously cooked Impossible Burger and tofu and sesame oil and stir gently.
- Adjust your spice preference. If you do not find it spicy enough, add a little bit more Szechuan peppercorns.
- Garnish with finely chopped green onions.
- Serve and enjoy over jasmine white rice!
Keywords: vegan mapo tofu, szechuan peppercorns, sichuan mapo tofu, impossible burger, plant based chinese recipes, vegan chinese food, 麻婆豆腐
PIN THE ABOVE IMAGE TO YOUR CHINESE FOOD RECIPE BOARD TO BOOKMARK THIS PAGE. WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE OUR RECIPES WITH YOU!
MORE TASTY RECIPES:
- SMOKED SALMON SANDWICH WITH SPROUTS, CAPERS CREAMY DILL CREAM CHEESE
- KIMCHI CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE
- VEGAN-ISH OKONOMIYAKI CAULIFLOWER BITES
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY VEGAN SOUP
- ACTIFRY BRUSSEL SPROUTS WITH GARLIC CHILI
- BLUEBERRY LEMON ZEST COCONUT MILK ICE CREAM
- KETO FRIENDLY BLUEBERRY SMOOTHIE
- HOMEMADE POPPYSEED DRESSING
- CRANBERRY FRISEE SALAD
- HOJICHA OAT MILK ICE CREAM (NO CHURN, EGG FREE, DAIRY FREE)
- NO MAYO APPLE VINEGAR COLESLAW
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!