Take this crispy breaded cauliflower bites and turn it into a well loved Japanese street food snack: Vegan-ish Okonomiyaki Cauliflower bites. It's 100% plant based and SO delicious! It is almost vegan!
Maybe Meatless Mondays is a trend, but we try to eat less meat when it makes sense! Although I'm not a vegan by any means, I do love a delicious healthy plant-based meal any chance I get. Sometimes, it is modernizing a traditional dish with a healthier spin; sometimes, it is making delicious bite-sized snacks that makes eating plants fun and exciting like this breaded no-fry baked Japanese okonomiyaki cauliflower bites!
Breaded No-Fry Baked Cauliflower Bites
There's nothing worse that cauliflower bites that comes out soggy. We've had our run with bad store-bought cauliflower buffalo wings that's just 100% disappointing! So we started making our own. We started frying some but it was too oily. So we tried to bake cauliflower nuggets instead and they were brilliant! Baking this breaded cauliflower recipe was a success! It is totally crispy and crunchy on the outside while still being tender on the inside! Thumbs up!
How to make Crispy Cauliflower Bites
The secret to making the cauliflower bites crispy and crunchy is creating the breading: panko and spices. Instead of olive oil which gets a bit thin, use maple syrup with soy sauce! Coat the cauliflower florets and then roll it around in the breaded mixture. Make sure you cut the cauliflower into large florets - this makes it easier to bake!
Set the oven at 400F for 30 mins!
Next, we layer on the creamy and rich cashew mayonnaise. Drizzle it over the crispy breaded cauliflower bites and sprinkle some Marumiya Furikake seasoning and bonito flakes. Viola! vegan-ish Okonomiyaki Cauliflower Bites!
This recipe is almost (if you omit bonito flakes) vegan, vegetarian, plant-based, and gluten-free and dairy-free1
In case you are wondering, what are bonito flakes? They are Katsuobushi. It is dried, fermented, and smoked skipjack tuna!
Looking For Cauliflower Recipes?
How to Make Creamy and Rich Cashew Mayo
If you are looking for a vegan alternative to traditional mayonnaise than this easy recipe will change your life! It is healthy, egg-free and low fat. Best of all it is super easy to make and delicious! You won't miss mayo!Print
VEGAN-ISH OKONOMIYAKI CAULIFLOWER BITES
Take this crispy breaded cauliflower bites and turn it into a well loved Japanese street food snack: Vegan-ish Okonomiyaki Cauliflower bites. It’s 100% plant based and SO delicious! It is almost vegan!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 30
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 1 plate 1x
- Category: Appetizers and Snacks
- Method: Bake
- Cuisine: Japanese, American
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1 cup panko breadcrumbs (use gluten-free panko if desired)
- 1 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp smoked paprika
- ½ ground white pepper
- ½ tsp sea salt
- 1-2 tablespoon maple syrup
- 2 tbsp soy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 tbsp vegan cashew mayonnaise
- 2 tbsp Marumiya Furikake seasoning
- Sprinkle of Bonito Flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Cut the cauliflower into large florets and place in a large mixing bowl. See notes.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the Panko breadcrumbs with garlic powder, smoked paprika, grounded white pepper and sea salt.
- Add half of the maple syrup on to the cauliflower florets and toss until evenly coated but not drenched. You want a thin coat.
- Pour about ½ the dry mixture to the coated cauliflower and mix well. Repeat the process until the dry mixture evenly coats the cauliflower.
- Remove breaded cauliflower from bowl and from onto a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper.)
- Bake the breaded cauliflower for 20-25 minutes (flipping half way at 12 minute mark) or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan onto a large plate immediately.
- Drizzle rich and creamy vegan cashew mayonnaise on top of the crispy breaded cauliflower bites.
- Sprinkle some Marumiya Furikake seasoning and bonito flakes (omit if you want it to be a vegan dish).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Use fresh cauliflower instead of frozen florets. Frozen florets tends to get soggy.
- Omit bonito flakes if you want it to be a vegan dish.
- Serving Size: 2 cups
- Calories: 191
- Sugar: 9.2 g
- Sodium: 770.2 mg
- Fat: 2.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 36.9 g
- Protein: 8.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: VEGAN-ish OKONOMIYAKI CAULIFLOWER BITES, crispy breaded cauliflower bites, cauliflower nuggets, japanese street food, vegan japanese street food, healthy okonomiyaki, vegan cashew mayonnaise, panko breadcrumbs, gluten-free snacks, vegan snacks
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE SEE HOW YOU WENT WITH MY RECIPES! LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW OR TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM @INSTANOMSS #INSTANOMSS
Pin the above image to your Healthy Food Recipe Board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
MORE VEGAN RECIPES:
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!