Take this crispy breaded cauliflower bites and turn it into a well loved Japanese street food snack: Vegan-ish Okonomiyaki Cauliflower bites. It’s 100% plant based and SO delicious! It is almost vegan!
- 1 medium head cauliflower, cut into large florets
- 1 cuppanko breadcrumbs (use gluten-free panko if desired)
- 1 tspgarlic powder
- 1 tspsmoked paprika
- 1/2 ground white pepper
- 1/2 tsp sea salt
- 1–2 tbsp maple syrup
- 2 tbspsoy sauce (or tamari for gluten-free)
- 2 tbspvegan cashew mayonnaise
- 2 tbspMarumiya Furikake seasoning
- Sprinkle of Bonito Flakes
- Preheat the oven to 400F.
- Cut the cauliflower into large florets and place in a large mixing bowl. See notes.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix together the Panko breadcrumbs with garlic powder, smoked paprika, grounded white pepper and sea salt.
- Add half of the maple syrup on to the cauliflower florets and toss until evenly coated but not drenched. You want a thin coat.
- Pour about 1/2 the dry mixture to the coated cauliflower and mix well. Repeat the process until the dry mixture evenly coats the cauliflower.
- Remove breaded cauliflower from bowl and from onto a baking sheet (lined with parchment paper.)
- Bake the breaded cauliflower for 20-25 minutes (flipping half way at 12 minute mark) or until golden brown.
- Remove from pan onto a large plate immediately.
- Drizzle rich and creamy vegan cashew mayonnaise on top of the crispy breaded cauliflower bites.
- Sprinkle some Marumiya Furikake seasoning and bonito flakes(omit if you want it to be a vegan dish).
- Serve and enjoy!
- Use fresh cauliflower instead of frozen florets. Frozen florets tends to get soggy.
- Omit bonito flakesif you want it to be a vegan dish.
Keywords: VEGAN-ish OKONOMIYAKI CAULIFLOWER BITES, crispy breaded cauliflower bites, cauliflower nuggets, japanese street food, vegan japanese street food, healthy okonomiyaki, vegan cashew mayonnaise, panko breadcrumbs, gluten-free snacks, vegan snacks