Nothing beats a healthy salad that acts as a main dish to make an easy dinner meal. This Vegan Mediterranean Quinoa Salad packs colourful vegetables, herbs and plant-based protein. Level up your favourite Copycat Costco Quinoa Salad recipe at home with a few simple ingredients. Vegan Plantbased, and Gluten-Free.
- Costco's Quinoa Salad
- Should You Soak Quinoa?
- How Do You Cook A Cup Uncooked Quinoa
- Health Benefits and Nutrition Facts of Quinoa
- Types of Quinoa
- How To Make Quinoa Salad
- Ingredients You Will Need To Make Simple Lemon Vinaigrette
- Step by Step Instructions For Homemade Version Of Costco Quinoa Salad Copycat Recipe
- Recipe Notes
- Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- MORE VEGAN RECIPES:
Costco's Quinoa Salad
There are so many reasons why we love Costco. Bulk shopping at Costco is terrific, and it makes meal planning and healthy meal prep ideas for the week economical.
You are missing out if you've never had the pre-made Costco Quinoa Salad. We love the delicious combination of vegetables, herbs and plant-based protein like Quinoa, mung beans and red lentils. More importantly, this quinoa Mediterranean salad is an excellent base for healthy recipes for weight loss on a budget.
There are many variations. Add your favourite protein to this salad. Use this easy quinoa salad in a wrap or serve it as a side dish with lunch or dinner! The possibilities are endless!
Add a simple salad dressing recipe with olive oil and lemon to this vegan salad recipe with protein.
Should You Soak Quinoa?
It is essential to wash and soak one cup of uncooked Quinoa in a large bowl.
Soaking help removes the bitter taste of saponins. Saponin is a compound that acts as a natural pesticide to repel bugs. This soapy substance, when consumed, can cause vomiting. They naturally sud up with mixed with water.
In addition, soaking Quinoa softens and improves digestion; it also helps activate enzymes that make Quinoa more nutritious.
Before cooking, the best way to prepare Quinoa is to soak it with hot boiling water and a splash of apple cider vinegar for a minimum of eight hours, best overnight. The hot water helps release saponin from the seeds. The water will look soapy on top.
Drain and rinse the Quinoa under cold water.
How Do You Cook A Cup Uncooked Quinoa
- Soak, drain with a fine mesh sifter and rinse Quinoa
- Transfer Quinoa to a quart pot and add water (2:1 ratio water to Quinoa - ex. 2 cups water to 1 cup of Quinoa).
- Bring water to a boil at medium-high heat.
- Reduce to low heat, cover pot with lid and simmer for 15 minutes.
- After 15 minutes, remove from the heat source, turn off the heat and let the pot sit with the lid covered for another 10 -15 minutes.
- Fluff up cooked Quinoa with a fork and set aside to room temperature.
Health Benefits and Nutrition Facts of Quinoa
Protein - an excellent source of plant-based protein alternatives. This powerhouse of pseudocereal grains contains nine essential amino acids. There is 8g protein in just one cup of cooked Quinoa.
Fibre - high fibre content keeps you feeling fuller and satiated longer. There is 5g of fiber in just one cup of cooked Quinoa.
Vitamins and Minerals - Rich in magnesium, manganese, phosphorus, zinc, copper, and iron.
Complex Carbohydrate - Quinoa contains longer chains of sugar molecules than simple carbohydrates, which digests slowly and releases energy gradually to supply the body without sugar crashes. These are great to incorporate into your everyday meals.
Is Quinoa Paleo? Is Quinoa Whole30?
No, Quinoa is not paleo. A paleo diet typically includes only lean meats, fish, fruits, vegetables, nuts and seeds. In addition, cereal grains (wheat, corn, rice, and oats), pseudo-grains, dairy products and legumes should be avoided. Similarly. Quinoa is not Whole30 compliant. A Whole30 diet avoids grains.
However, some may bend the rules a bit, given quinoa packs many nutritional benefits.
Types of Quinoa
There are different types of Quinoa. First, let's talk about whole seed quinoa.
White Quinoa - super light and fluffy, and most versatile.
Red Quinoa - crunchy and nutty. It doesn't work well with sweet applications.
Black Quinoa - also crunch and nutty. Less common in grocery stores.
Rainbow Quinoa (Tri-Color) is a blend of white, red, and black Quinoa.
There are also quinoa flour, flakes and crips on the market.
How To Make Quinoa Salad
Ingredients You Will Need To Make Quinoa Salad
Quinoa - you may use white, red, or black whole seed quinoa for this convenient meal!
Sprouted Mung Beans - added protein and fibre.
Red Lentils - high in protein and fiber and low in fat. They're also packed with folate, iron, phosphorus, potassium and fiber.
English Cucumber - finely chopped cucumber adds a refreshing crunchy texture and boosts nutrients: magnesium, potassium, and vitamin K.
Cherry Tomato - is low in calories, rich in antioxidants, and adds a sweet, tart, tangy balance.
Red Bell Pepper - adds the right amount of sweetness and crunchy texture.
Parsley - excellent profile of clean, peppery taste to brighten fresh salad.
Edamame - adds a nice firm texture that is buttery with a hint of sweetness.
Corn - moderately sweet, crunchy, with a tender, buttery flavour.
Seasoning - lightly seasoning with salt and fresh ground black pepper is a great way to highlight the flavours of fresh vegetables.
Ingredients You Will Need To Make Simple Lemon Vinaigrette
Fresh Lemon Juice - the core of the tangy vinaigrette is fresh lemon juice to lift, brighten, and bring all the flavours together. Use the real thing and avoid store-bought lemon juice. If desired, fold in lemon zest to make it an extra delicious lemon dressing!
Extra-Virgin Olive Oil - this healthy fat helps you better absorb the nutrition of your salad greens. Plus, olive oil can protect you from hypertension, and the Mediterranean diet can reduce blood pressure.
White Wine Vinegar - add a tablespoon of white vinegar to your simple lemon salad dressing to help increase the sense of satiety. This precious ally in the kitchen is also rich in mineral salts, including phosphorus, potassium, magnesium, iron.
Step by Step Instructions For Homemade Version Of Costco Quinoa Salad Copycat Recipe
Wash, soak and rinse Quinoa for a minimum of eight hours, preferably overnight.
Chop and prepare vegetables, herbs and legumes.
Add cooked Quinoa, mung beans, cucumbers, Roma tomatoes, red bell peppers, and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
Season with a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
Pour the lemon and olive oil dressing over the salad. Mix well.
Serve and enjoy.
Garnish with fresh cilantro and top with vegan feta cheese.
Store up to 4 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
One great thing about this rich Quinoa salad is that you do not need to use exact ingredients. Discover different ways to make this great salad your favourite premade meals with different items such as brown rice.
That's the beauty of this easy dinner, perfect for parties and potluck events. Simply double batch the recipe and serve this tasty versatile dish in a large serving bowl. It is also a fantastic healthy meal prep idea for the week! It is one of my favourite recipes because this Vegetarian meal is soooo good! It can be served as a main meal!
Did you make this Healthy Quinoa Salad Recipe? I'd love to see how you went with my recipes! Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @INSTANOMSS #INSTANOMSSPrint
Nothing beats a healthy salad that acts as a main dish to make an easy dinner meal. This Vegan Mediterranean Quinoa Salad packs colourful vegetables, herbs and plant-based protein. Level up your favourite Copycat Costco Quinoa Salad recipe at home with a few simple ingredients. Whole30 Compliant, Vegan Plantbased, and Gluten-Free.
Mediterranean Quinoa Salad
- 2 cups organic Quinoa
- ½ cup sprouted mung beans, cooked
- ¼ cup red lentils, cooked
- ½ cup finely chopped cucumber
- 1 cup chopped Roma tomato
- 1 red pepper, deseeded and finely chopped
- ½ cup parsley, finely chopped
- ¼ cup edamame
- ¼ corn
- ½ bunch fresh cilantro, finely chopped (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- ½ tsp apple cider vinegar
Lemon Olive Dressing
- ¼ C extra virgin olive oil
- 1 lemon, juiced
- 2 tbsp white wine vinegar
- ½ tbsp maple syrup (optional)
- salt and pepper to taste
- In a small bowl, soak Quinoa with hot boiling water and a splash of apple cider vinegar for a minimum of eight hours, best overnight.
- Drain and rinse the Quinoa under cold water.
- Wash, chop and prepare vegetables, herbs and legumes.
- Add cooked Quinoa, cooked mung beans, cooked red lentils, chopped veggies (cucumbers, Roma tomatoes, red bell peppers), and parsley in a large mixing bowl. Mix well.
- Season with a dash of salt and pepper to taste.
- Add fresh lemon juice, white wine vinegar, and olive oil to make the tangy dressing. If desired, you can also add a little maple syrup for sweetness.
- Pour the lemon and olive oil dressing over the salad. Mix well.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Garnish with fresh cilantro and top with vegan feta cheese.
- Store up to 4 days in the refrigerator in an airtight container.
- Explore using different types of organic Quinoa - White Quinoa, Red Quinoa, and Black Quinoa.
- One great thing about this rich Quinoa salad is that you do not need to use exact ingredients. Discover different ways to make this great salad your favorite premade meals with different items such a brown rice.
- Should I Soak Quinoa? It is essential to wash and soak one cup of uncooked quinoa in a large bowl. Soaking help removes the bitter taste of saponins.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 490
- Sugar: 103.3 g
- Sodium: 603.5 mg
- Fat: 2.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 116.6 g
- Fiber: 3.4 g
- Protein: 6.2 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Organic Quinoa, Mediterranean Diet, Quinoa Salad, Whole30 Compliant, Vegan, Plant based, Gluten-Free, Costco's Copycat, Quick and Easy, Pacific Northwest, Vegetarian
SAVE THE ABOVE IMAGE TO YOUR VEGAN PLANT-BASED RECIPE BOARD TO BOOKMARK THIS PAGE. WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE MORE TASTY FOOD WITH YOU!
MORE VEGAN RECIPES:
- Osmanthus Flower Jelly with Goji Berry 桂花糕
- Double-Steamed Snow Pear with Fritllaria Bulb Recipe 川貝燉雪梨
- Hawthorn Goji Berry Tea 山楂杞子茶
- Air Fryer Salt and Pepper Tofu
- Vegan Okonomiyaki Cauliflower Bites
- Anti-Inflammatory Vegan
- Hojicha Oat Milk Nice Cream (No Churn, Egg Free, Dairy Free)
- No Mayo Apple Vinegar Coleslaw
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!