The Best Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes (Vegan) are silky, smooth and fluffy in under 30 minutes! I use this quick and easy recipe every Thanksgiving holiday, and all my guests love it! It is so delicious whether you like your creamy mashed potatoes skin on or off!
In This Post: Everything You'll Need For Making Vegan Mashed Potatoes Creamy
- In This Post: Everything You'll Need For Making Vegan Mashed Potatoes Creamy
- What is the Best Kind Potato for Mashed Potatoes?
- Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Cooking Tips
- What Can I Substitute for Milk and Heavy Cream?
- What to Add to Mashed Potatoes for Flavour?
- How to Make the Best Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes
- What Goes With Mashed Potatoes
- Best Vegan Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
What is the Best Kind Potato for Mashed Potatoes?
Yukon Gold potatoes are the best for mashed potatoes. But I have had many successes using Russet Potatoes as well. We do not particularly like red potatoes but will use them if that's the only thing we have.
Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes Cooking Tips
- You can peel or potatoes or leave the skin on
- This easy pressure cooker mashed potatoes without steamer basket is ready in under 30 minutes
- You can add any flavours to your mashed potatoes.
- Instead of cooking the potatoes in water, cook your potatoes in chicken broth or vegetable broth for the vegan mashed potato option. The potato will absorb all the flavour!
- Substitute heavy cream for milk and add melted butter for a super creamy masher.
- For plant-based Vegan Thanksgiving recipe, use oat milk or soy milk instead. Oat milk mashed potatoes are so creamy and velvety!
- Avoid using too much liquid.
- Push the potatoes through a fine mesh sieve to render the smoothest, fluffiest potatoes ever!
- Masher will yield chunkier mash potatoes.
- Fold in the liquid once your potatoes are mashed to avoid over mixing.
Although this recipe is not a no drain instant pot mashed potatoes recipe, it is very easy to make and very delicious.
What Can I Substitute for Milk and Heavy Cream?
The best substitute for a dairy-free mashed potato vegan alternative is a neutral-tasting milk substitute like oat milk or soy milk for a plant-based vegan Thanksgiving recipe. My mashed potatoes had a funny taste and mealy texture when we tried almond milk, and coconut milk is too fragrant and tropically. You can also skip using nut milk and use vegetable stock.
Your vegetarian mashed potatoes will still turn out super creamy, silky and luxurious!
What to Add to Mashed Potatoes for Flavour?
- You can pick any herbs that you like.
- Garlic is nice. Garlic mashed potatoes are my favourite; Lemon garlic is a close second. Cheesy mashed potatoes are also very good with kids.
- Mashed baked potatoes with chives and green onions are also very nice.
- Herbs such as cilantro, parsley, oregano, sage, or thyme are just some of fresh herbs to use.
How to Make the Best Pressure Cooker Mashed Potatoes
After the potatoes are washed, scrubbed and peeled, add the potatoes in the Instant Pot with salt and chicken stock. Pressure cook on high for 8 minutes and quick release.
What Goes With Mashed Potatoes
The best mains to serve with mashed potatoes:
- Bacon Wrapped Turkey Thighs
- Juicy Reverse Sear Steak
- Best Seafood Clam Chowder
- Air Fryer Brussel Sprouts
Did you make this Best Vegan Mashed Potatoes made in the pressure cooker? I'd love to see how you went with my recipes! Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @INSTANOMSS #INSTANOMSSPrint
Best Vegan Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes
The Best Vegan Instant Pot Mashed Potatoes are creamy and silky, smooth and fluffy in under 30 minutes! I use this quick and easy recipe every Thanksgiving holiday, and all my guests love it! It is so delicious whether you like your Instant Pot mashed potatoes skin on or off!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 8
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 persons 1x
- Category: Appetizers, Snacks
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Pacific North West, Canadian
- Diet: Vegan
- 6 to 8 Yukon potatoes, peel and rough chopped
- 1 cup chicken stock or vegetable stock (vegan option)
- 4 cloves garlic
- 2 tbsp butter or vegan butter (such as Flora Salted Plant Butter), room temperature
- ¼ C heavy cream, milk or milk alternative like oat milk (vegan option)
- salt and freshly ground black pepper to taste
- ¼ C fresh chives or cilantro, garnishing (optional)
- Wash and peel potatoes. (see notes)
- Add potatoes, chicken stock or vegetable stock, garlic into the Instant Pot pressure cooker.
- Close and lock the Instant Pot cover and set pressure cook on high for 8 minutes followed by quick release.
- Carefully remove the potatoes from the Instant Pot. Drain excess liquid.
- Push the potatoes through a fine-mesh sieve or smash with a masher.
- If the potatoes feel dry, fold in a tablespoon of the vegetable stock or chicken stock
- Fold in room temperature butter, salt and pepper.
- Garnish with fresh herbs or butter.
- Serve hot and enjoy!
For creamier mashed potatoes, remove the potato skin.
Push the potatoes through a fine mesh sieve to render the smoothest, fluffiest potatoes ever!
I use an 8 quart Instant Pot Duo.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 214
- Sugar: 2.8 g
- Sodium: 794.1 mg
- Fat: 3.3 g
- Carbohydrates: 42.2 g
- Protein: 5.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: mashed potato, yukon potato, thanksgiving holiday, thanksgiving sides, appetizer, side dish, creamy mashed potatoes, best vegan mashed potatoes, vegetarian, dairy free, milk alternative
SAVE THE ABOVE IMAGE TO YOUR VEGAN / PLANT-BASED RECIPE BOARD TO BOOKMARK THIS PAGE. WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE OUR RECIPES WITH YOU!
MORE VEGAN RECIPES:
- Super Alkaline Kale Salad
- Double-Steamed Snow Pear with Fritllaria Bulb Recipe 川貝燉雪梨
- Hawthorn Goji Berry Tea 山楂杞子茶
- Air Fryer Salt and Pepper Tofu
- Vegan Okonomiyaki Cauliflower Bites
- Anti-Inflammatory Vegan
- Hojicha Oat Milk Nice Cream (No Churn, Egg Free, Dairy Free)
- No Mayo Apple Vinegar Coleslaw
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!