青紅蘿蔔豬骨湯 Chinese Green Radish Carrot Pork Bone Soup is a very flavourful and soothing soup that is common in many Chinese households. As the weather gets colder in Autumn, it is necessary to nourish the lungs. This simple Hong Kong homecooked pork bone radish soup moisturizes the lungs, reliefs cough and phlegm, and reduces inflammation.
- When To Make Green Radish and Carrot Pork Bone Soup
- Green Radish Soup Benefits
- Chinese Daikon Carrot Pork Bone Soup Ingredients
- Health Benefits of Chinese Herbs
- Green Radish vs Daikon Radishes
- Green Daikon Substitutes
- Green Radish Benefits
- Raw White Radish Benefits
- Nutritional Information General Guideline
- How To Make Chinese Green Radish and Carrot Soup Recipe With Pork Bones
- Cooking Times
- What To Serve With Green Radish Carrot Soup
- Green Radish Carrot Pork Bone Soup Recipe 青紅蘿蔔豬骨湯
When To Make Green Radish and Carrot Pork Bone Soup
Chinese soups are excellent during cold winter months, but it is also essential to feed the human body seasonally.
You may consume Chinese daikon pork bone soup year-round and not just as an Autumn soup or in the winter months.
Green radish carrot pork bone soup is a substitute for chicken soup in Chinese families. This common soup is packed with health benefits.
Every time after the holidays or after over-indulging on fried foods I always turn to Chinese soup to neutralize it. Chinese soups are so good to nourish and tune up the imbalance in my body. Chinese soups has great edible medicinal properties. Plus, soups are super comforting. Green radish and carrots with pork bone soup is great to lower the "heat" ( 熱氣) in the body.
Green Radish Soup Benefits
Green Radish are referred to as Green Carrots in Chinese. Are green carrots safe to eat? Absolutely!
- Moisturizes the lungs and internal organs
- Reliefs cough and phlegm
- Reduces inflammation
- Lowers Heatiness
- Rich in collagen and fatty bone marrow
- Reduces water retention and dampness
Green Radish and Carrot with Pork Bone Soup Recipe 青紅蘿蔔豬骨湯 is super easy to make. It is good for a cold and nourishes internal organs, de-stress and detox the body. Carrots are high in beta carotene and Vitamin A. The soup is 'sweet'.
Chinese Daikon Carrot Pork Bone Soup Ingredients
This traditional Chinese recipe is an easy soup recipe that can be quickly prepared. The main ingredients in this delicious soup include easy-to-digest proteins and nutrients.
- Pork bones or Pork Ribs
- Pork Tenderloin
- Chicken Drum Stick
- Green Radish 青蘿蔔
- Dried Figs
- Apricot Kernels (nan xing and bei xing)
- Raw Coix Seeds
- Chinese Yam (Dioscorea Polystachya), optional
Health Benefits of Chinese Herbs
South/North Apricot Kernels 南北杏
Apricot kernel reduces phlegm, moistens the lungs and relieves cough and asthma. Sweet almonds need to be consumed in moderation, as too much can easily lead to poisoning if ingested on unprepared ones with skin. South Apricot Kernels are sweet. North Apricot Kernels are slightly bitter.
Chinese Yams (Dioscorea Polystachya) 淮山 / 山藥
Commonly referred to as Chinese yam, Huai Shan has a sweet, neutral characteristic. Individuals with spleen deficient 脾虚 will find improvements in their digestive system. It promotes urination and inhibits gastric cleansing properties. Huai Shan targets kidney, lung, and spleen channels 腎﹐肺﹐脾. Chinese Yam benefits also help reduce blood sugar and blood pressure, improve antibodies, anti-inflammatory, anti-aging, and improve vitality.
Fig benefits are plentiful. Fig fruits are very nutritious, high in antioxidants and low in calories. This ancient fruit is sweet and neutral to warm in nature. It targets the lung, stomach, and large Intestines meridians. Dried figs in Chinese soup recipes are typically used to clear heat, thirst quench, promote the secretion of body fluids, moisten and tonifies the stomach and large intestines, detox, and reduce inflammation.
Raw Coix Seed 生薏米
It has the appearance of a deep concave on one side. Its primary characteristics are removing dampness and wind - suitable to drink during Spring. Its nature is cold and suitable for people with a hot body. Raw coix seeds invigorate the spleen, relieve diarrhea, and improve spleen and intestinal pain.
Green Radish vs Daikon Radishes
Green radish is not the same as daikon radish. Similarly, the Chinese green radish recipe is not the same as Korean Radish Soup (Muguk).
The Raphanus sativus var. caudatus is green meat with a dark green exterior that may or may not include some lightened white parts. When consumed raw, they are quite crispy and subtly spicy. They are in season in Spring and Fall.
The Daikon radish (Raphanus raphanistrum subsp. sativus) or sometimes called a Japanese radish, resembles a thick white carrot. White radishes are crispy and juicy with a mild peppery-tangy flavour. They are in season during the winter months.
Green Daikon Substitutes
Since green and white radishes are similar root vegetables, it would be easy to substitute one for the other. That is not always the case.
Green Radish Benefits
Green radish is rich in vitamin C and dietary fibre. The nutrients contained in it are similar to that of white radish. However, because it is rich in vitamin A, its therapeutic effect is better than white radish.
It has the effect of clearing heat and soothing the liver. It can also strengthen the spleen and prevent excessive phlegm, dry mouth and thirst.
The diuretic function of green radish is particularly good at promoting digestion and relieving constipation.
青蘿蔔有“水果蘿蔔”的美稱。含維他命C和膳食纖維與白蘿蔔差不多。 不過因其富含維他命A，所以食療功效上比白蘿蔔更優勝。 清熱舒肝，健脾，防治痰多、口乾舌渴。
Raw White Radish Benefits
- Reduce heatiness and quench thirst.
- Reduce cough and phelgm.
- Treat asthma
- Cool blood and stop bleeding.
- Nourish and moisten the lungs.
- Strong anti-inflammatory effect
- Promotes digestion and relieves constipation.
- Cooked White Radish Benefits
- Promotes and improves the spleen, stomach and digestion.
Nutritional Information General Guideline
The funny thing about Western nutritional information for creating Chinese soup recipes is that it does not account for just the soup broth.
For example, the 391 calories per serving do not consider that an average person drinking this nutritious Chinese soup does not eat the main ingredients after being stewed.
An average bowl of green radish carrot soup is only 222 calories.
青紅蘿蔔豬骨湯 (不連渣) 222kcal
How To Make Chinese Green Radish and Carrot Soup Recipe With Pork Bones
Wash and peel carrots skin for both red carrots and green radishes. Rough chop the root veggies into large chunks. Do not cut the carrots into thin slices if you prefer enjoying them after as a side dish.
If you prefer, you can also add the sweet corn. Cut into large pieces or small pieces to fit the ceramic pot.
Parboil the pork bones, pork ribs, and chicken drumsticks in a medium pot of water. Once you see white foam on the boiling water surface of the soup, drain and rinse the meat with cold water.
Add all ingredients into a separate large soup pot filled with enough water to cover.
Bring water to a boil at high heat.
After the green radish carrot pork soup comes to a rolling boil, reduce heat to low-medium heat and boil for 30 minutes.
After 30 minutes, reduce heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and continue to a gentle simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
Checking occasionally to ensure the soup water boils without drying out!
Season with salt to taste
Enjoy, and don't forget to eat the carrot and radish chunks! They are sooo good!
- Stove Top - 3 hours
- Slow cooker - 3 hours
- Pressure cooker - 1 hour
The soup color is light orange color. I like to use both pork bone and chicken to added depth of flavor and complexity. Typically I would have pork bone or ribs handy in the freezer.
Pork bones usually has fatty bone marrow to munch on as an extra dish for dinner. Dip it in some soy sauce mixed with some chili oil. They are excellent and delicious side dish!
What To Serve With Green Radish Carrot Soup
Did you make this Spleen Nourishing Chinese Medicine Pork Rib Soup Recipe? I'd love to see how you went with my recipes! Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @INSTANOMSS #INSTANOMSS.Print
Green Radish Carrot Pork Bone Soup Recipe 青紅蘿蔔豬骨湯
Green Radish and Carrot with Pork Bone Soup Recipe 青紅蘿蔔豬骨湯 is super easy to make. It is good for a cold and nourishes internal organs, de-stress and detoxes the body. Carrots are high in beta carotene and Vitamin A. As the weather gets colder in Autumn, it is necessary to nourish the lungs. This simple Hong Kong homecooked pork bone radish soup moisturizes the lungs, reliefs cough and phlegm, and reduces inflammation.
- Prep Time: 15
- Cook Time: 3
- Total Time: 18 minutes
- Yield: 4 servings 1x
- Category: soup
- Method: boil, Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Chinese
- 1 lb Pork bones or Pork Tenderloin 豬骨 1
- 3 Chicken drum sticks (skin removed) 雞腿去皮, 3隻
- 1 large green radishes, cut into chunks 青蘿蔔 1條, 切塊
- 2 large carrots, cut into chunks 胡蘿蔔 2條, 切塊
- 4 ginger slices 薑 4片
- 2 dried figs, cut in half 無花果 2粒
- 100 g Chinese apricot kernels 南北杏 南北杏 適量
- 5 L water 水 適量
- A pinch of salt to taste 鹽少許
- 1 sweet corn, optional 玉米 1條
- Wash and rinse Chinese herbs like Chinese almonds, raw coix seeds, and dried figs.
- Soak Chinese almonds and raw coix seeds for 20 minutes in a small bowl to remove traces of impurities. This will help remove dust and debris. Rinse and set aside.
- Wash and peel carrots skin for both red carrots and green radishes. Rough chop the root veggies into large chunks. Do not cut the carrots into thin slices if you prefer enjoying them after as a side dish.
- If you prefer, you can also add the sweet corn. Cut into large pieces or small pieces to fit the ceramic pot.
- Parboil the pork bones, pork ribs, and chicken drumsticks in a medium pot of water. Once you see white foam on the boiling water surface of the soup, drain and rinse the meat with cold water.
- Add all ingredients into a separate large soup pot filled with enough water to cover.
- Bring water to a boil at high heat.
- After the green radish carrot pork soup comes to a rolling boil, reduce heat to low-medium heat and boil for 30 minutes.
- After 30 minutes, reduce heat to low, cover the pot with a lid, and continue to a gentle simmer for 2 to 3 hours.
- Checking occasionally to ensure the soup water boils without drying out!
- Season with salt to taste.
- Serve and enjoy hot.
- 一起置於鍋中，加入清水，先用大火煮沸，再用小火煮30分鐘。 加入鹽少許調味。
- The same results can be achieved in an Instant pot. Set to manual high pressure mode for 1 hour.
- You can add both pork bones and pork tenderloin or pork shanks together. It will make the soup richer and tastier.
- Adding chicken drumsticks will lift the soup's flavour and add an excellent depth to the chicken broth.
- 青紅蘿蔔豬骨湯 (不連渣) 222kcal
- Serving Size: 1 pot
- Calories: 391
- Sugar: 8.7 g
- Sodium: 725.2 mg
- Fat: 29.2 g
- Carbohydrates: 26.8 g
- Fiber: 3.9 g
- Protein: 8 g
- Cholesterol: 20.1 mg
Keywords: Green Radish, Carrot, Pork Bone Soup, Recipe, 青紅蘿蔔豬骨湯, nourishing, wellness, Chinese, TCM, Chinese Medicinal Food Therapy, Autumn Soup, Pork Bones, Chicken,
Pin the above image to your Chinese recipe board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
More Chinese Recipes
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!