Summer time means a lot of time spent on the patio and outdoors. It is perfect for barbecuing and relaxing. Ricardo Cuisine invited us to test out some of their chicken recipes. We decided to try the Ricardo Butterflied Chicken with Chimichurri Sauce Recipe. Even though we don't have a bbq grill yet, we thought we could modify this recipe slightly and bake it in the oven instead.
This Baked Chicken with Chimichurri Sauce Recipe is fairly easy to make and preparation time takes 25 minutes at most. Less time spent cooking, makes more play time on the patio!
Baked Chicken with Chimichurri Sauce Recipe
Chimichurri Sauce Ingredients:
- ⅓ cup (75 ml) olive oil
- 3 tablespoon (45 ml) red wine vinegar
- 2 green onions, finely chopped
- ½ cup (23 g) chopped cilantro
- ¼ cup (11 g) chopped parsley
- ½ jalapeno pepper, seeded and finely chopped
- 1 clove garlic, finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh oregano
- 1 teaspoon chopped fresh thyme
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ¼ teaspoon ground coriander
- ½ teaspoon paprika
- ½ teaspoon ground coriander
- 1 teaspoon salt
- 1 4-lb (1.8 kg) chicken - I used drumsticks.
Chimichurri Sauce Directions:
- In a bowl, combine all the ingredients.
- Set aside.
- In a bowl, combine the spices and the salt. Set aside.
- Instead of using chicken breast and having to butterfly the legs, we used drumsticks instead. I love the juicy and tenderness from the legs. I would definately use chicken wings for this Chimichurri Sauce Chicken Recipe too.
- Place the chicken in a large glass dish or large sealable plastic bag. Rub the chicken with the spice mixture. Add half the chimichurri sauce and thoroughly coat the chicken. Cover the dish or seal the bag and refrigerate for 12 hours. We only had time to marinade the chicken for 4 hours. But it was enough to let the flavors set in.
- Refrigerate the remaining sauce until ready to serve.
- Preheat oven to 350 degrees.
- Use an oven safe saute pan like this one here, pan fried chicken. Add some white wine if you have some left over. Allow the chicken skin to slightly char.
- If you have a barbecue at home, you can set the burner to high. Oil the grate on the unheated side. Lay the chicken flat on the unheated side of the grill, skin side down. Close the lid.
- Cook for 45 minutes for both oven or bbq methods.
- Flip the chicken and continue cooking for about 35 minutes or until a thermometer inserted into the thigh, without touching the bone, reads 180°F (82°C). Brush the chicken with chimichurri sauce a few times during cooking. Finish cooking the chicken on the heated side to create char marks.
- Serve the chicken with the reserved chimichurri sauce.
In the meantime, let us know what you thought of this summer chimichurri sauce chicken recipe in the comments below.
Pin the above image to your Chinese recipe board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!