Last night I ate in the prep kitchen at Glowbal with Emad Yacoub, owner of the Glowbal Group with a few selected OG food bloggers – Sherman, Diana, Dennis. Catch our Instagram, in our IG Stories to see us being led down the restaurant downstairs […]
TurF Vancouver is a fitness studio, restaurant & cafe and shop in the Kitsilano neighbourhood on West 4th. I love the healthy choices and wholesome food that makes you feel alive – no refined sugar, non-processed. Just a lot of organic ingredients, mostly plants and […]
Hydra Vancouver is an estiatorio Mediterranean restaurant & bar that just opened at the newly renovated luxury EXchange Hotel on 475 Howe Street (between Pender and Hastings.) The 180-seat Greek restaurant itself is a stunning bi-level, washed with natural light from its six-story atrium lobby. It has opulent mirrors and an irresistible raw bar – right as you enter the restaurant on the second floor!
The name “Hydra” (pronounced ‘hee-dra’) – is named after the beautiful culinary Greek island in the Aegean Sea.
The EXchange Hotel is Vancouver’s first LEED™ Platinum Heritage Conversion and is the former home of the original Vancouver Stock Exchange.
Last night I had the pleasure to experience the debut menu of this elegantly modern Greek-inspired flagship estiatorio. The menu focuses on quality Mediterranean dishes such as vine-ripened tomato salad with flat parsley and feta, tender grilled octopus garnished with lemon juice and olive oil, or lamb chops served straight from the grill with hints of garlic and oregano. Chef Ioannis Gerolymatos pays homage to his roots and honours ingredients and traditional cooking styles.
We started the evening with cocktails and a collection of spreads ($10 each and comes with freshly made to order pita bread.) Opt to add crudite +$3.
Next on the menu was a selection of Hydra Favorite starters. There is a good variety of appetizers from saganaki fried cheese to deliciously crispy paper-thin zucchini chips!
GRILLED OCTOPUS 21: Tender flame grilled baby octopus dressed in lemon and oregano olive oil and served with a fava bean purée.
HYDRA SPECIAL 18: We bet you can not just eat just one! These guilt-free paper-thin zucchini are super delicious and comes with spicy eggplant tzatziki.
KEFALOGRAVIERA 17: Crispy on the exterior and melty, gooey, cheese inside. This fried saganaki dish is lovely.
TOMATO SALAD 19: This Greek salad includes vine-ripened tomatoes with fresh feta cheese flown from Greece.
GREEN SALAD 13: Simple and refreshing. Finely chopped hearts of romaine, scallions and served with a light dill hydra vinaigrette.
ORGANIC HEIRLOOM BEETS 14: Tender heirloom leafy beets tossed in red-wine vinegar and extra virgin olive oil.
Now that our appetite’s been warmed up it is time for Today’s fresh selection of seafood from the Aegean & Salish Seas and world’s oceans, on display at the Raw Bar. Choose how you’d like your fish to be cooked – salted baked or grilled. Served with greek fried potatoes, and sautéed greens.
WHOLE FISH IN SEA SALT MP: salt baked with herbs. Mildly flavourful and full of natural sweetness from the fish.
GRILLED WHOLE FISH MP: flame-grilled with olive oil & lemon sauce.
Family Style Hydra Platters from the land.
WHOLE FORNO ROASTED CHICKEN 48: Tender marinated chicken with herbs and lemon
FORNO ROASTED WHOLE LEG OF LAMB 89: marinated with oregano and lemon. Carved in the kitchen and served with natural drippings.
LOBSTER PASTA 59: Scrumptious whole lobster served with fresh pasta, tomatoes, ouzo and lobster sauce.
The menu at Hydra Vancouver is intended to be explored and shared with friends and family. Thank you for the amazing night over good company and delicious eats. The plethora of unique dishes and choices is incredible. There is something for everyone! I can’t wait to come back and try their Charred Cauliflower, forno baked Black Cod, Spanakopita and Crab Cakes and of course the flame grilled whole lobster!
Hydra Estiatorio Mediterranean & Bar
Cuisine: Mediterranean, Seafood, Greek
Mon 7:00 am – 11:00 pm
Tue 7:00 am – 11:00 pm
Wed 7:00 am – 11:00 pm
Thu 7:00 am – 11:00 pm
Fri 7:00 am – 11:00 pm
Sat 7:00 am – 11:00 pm
Sun 7:00 am – 11:00 pm
Breakfast 7 days a week 7am-10am
Lunch Mon-Fri 11am-3pm
475 Howe St, Vancouver, BC V6B 2B3
Autostrada Osteria is a casual osterie on Main Street, Vancouver between East 32nd and 33rd. The Co-Owner and Head Chef come from La Quercia, founder of La Pentola and co-owner of Cinara. The menu focuses on quality ingredients, fresh handmade pasta and few regional wines. […]
Where to eat for Mother’s Day Weekend? Are you wondering where to take Mom out for Brunch, Lunch or Dinner in Vancouver this year? Here are a few places in Metro Vancouver that are hosting special events for Mother’s Day May 11 and 12, 2019. […]
Just like that the 6th annual Healthy Family Expo took place last weekend at the Vancouver Convention Centre on March 24th, 2019. This was a fun-filled day for with over 200 exhibitors showcasing healthy, active, eco-friendly products and services for Metro Vancouver families. We enjoyed all the healthy & tasty food and beverage sampling and shopping in the Whole Foods Market and London Drugs Health Zones.
Emily and we enjoyed stage highlights with Live Dino Shows, a Science World Demo, and Gumboot Kids Live Shows featuring Jessie Farrell and her CBC Kids friends Daniel Tiger, True, Daisy and Scout!
The 35,000 square foot Active Kid Zone includes exciting NEW activities like CircusWest tightwire & stilts workshops, Safe Archery, Toddler Sandbox, and the Vancouver Aquarium AquaVan, plus returning favourites Springfree Trampoline, a rock climbing wall, bouncy castles, the Vancouver Aquarium AquaVan, Sportball, face painting and more! Not to mention there was a $10,000 Grand Prize Showcase that includes a Springfree Trampoline!
REMEMBER! Kids Get in FREE! – All kids up to age 16 get FREE ADMISSION!
We loved all the swag that we took home. And who can say no to this cute pop-up kitchen playset?
Use code HFENOM online for 25% off 2 or more Expo tickets – deal ends soon!
Healthy Family Expo:
When: March 24, 2019
Time: 9am – 6pm
Where: Vancouver Convention Centre, East Building
Address: 999 Canada Place Way, Vancouver
Tickets: Missed out this year? CLICK HERE TO BUY TICKETS FOR HEALTHY FAMILY EXPO 2020 ONLINE!
Exhibitor List 2019
Exhibitor List 2019
6Pack Indoor Beach
A-Star Art Parlour
Alia Ledoux Essentials
Anitau2019s Organic Mill
Around the Back Chiropractic
BC Childrenu2019s Hospital Foundation u2013 RBC Race for The Kids
BC Parent Magazine
Bikers Against Child Abuse
Boucher Institute of Naturopathic Medicine
Caboo Paper Products
Canucks Autism Network
Cultus Lake Adventure Park
Cultus Lake Waterpark
du014dTERRA Essential Oils
Everland Natural Foods
Evo Car Share
Evolve Skateboard & Scooter Camps
Fatso High Performance Peanut Butter
Floating Leaf Fine Foods
Four Ou2019Clock Tea
Frog Friendly Coffee
Good Food For Good
Grimmu2019s Fine Foods
GTu2019s Living Foods
Health Canada u2013 Environmental Health Program
Kicking Horse Coffee
Kuddles Early Learning Centre
LaCroix Sparkling Water
Little Picasso Series
Little Winks Sleep
Loot Toy Company
Love Child Organics
Love Good Fats
Monarch Pediatric Dental Centre
Movies for Mommies
Mr. Quinleyu2019s Adventures
My Whole Earth Academy Preschool
Natural Calm Canada
Nature Bee Beeswax Wraps
North Shore Pediatric Dentistry
Ocean Wise AquaVan
One Degree Organics
Organika Health Products
PDG Pediatric Dental Group
Peaceful Easy Vegan Nutrition
Physiotherapy Association of British Columbia
Plastic Oceans International
Posh Baby and Kids
Prostate Cancer BC u2013 Fatheru2019s Day Walk Run
Raou2019s Specialty Foods
Renewal by Anderson
Science World On The Road
Silver Hills Bakery
Spark Fitness Cloverdale
Spark Fitness Surrey
Squamish Water Kefir
SweetLegs Abbotsford with Katie
SWISH Your Breath
Tender Leaf Toys Canada
the breeze 104.3
The Little Explorers
Third Eye Martial Arts Studio
TJu2019s The Kiddies Store
Vancouveru2019s Pediatric & Family Wellness Chiropractor
Vegan Family Kitchen
West 1st Chiropractic Wellness Centre
West Coast Bugs
West Coast Families Magazine
West Coast Railway Heritage Park
Whole Foods Market
Wild Coast Fruit Co.
Zorbas Bakery and Foods
Where to eat for Easter Weekend Brunch, Lunch or Dinner in Vancouver this year? Here are a few places in Metro Vancouver that are hosting special events for Easter Weekend April 19-21 2019. To avoid lengthy wait times, reservations are highly recommended. This list […]
Where are you celebrating Earth Hour? Show your care for the Earth this Saturday, March 30, from 8:30 to 9:30 pm. Now in its 12th year, the annual global initiative — recognized as “the world’s largest grassroots movement for the environment” — sees millions of […]
The 20th Annual BCPMA Healthy Chef Competition took place March 20th at the Hyatt Regency in Downtown Vancouver. It is co-hosted by BC Produce Marketing Association and BC Chefs’ Association (BCCA). There were over 500 guests in attendance and 10 restaurants showcasing their use of fresh produce into each dish. The evening was filled with food, silent auctions, a swag bag and swag box of fresh produce and more.
Below is the menu from each restaurant properties:
- Kampachi & Salmon sashimi (appetizer): scallion, apple, fingerling potato chips, sunflower sprouts, chilled white shoyu dashi
- Lamb (entrée): Lamb with Little Potato CO Fingerlings, sun choke, English Peas, Foraged Mushrooms, Fermented Wild Blueberries and apple Bordelaise Sauce.
- The Dark Chocolate Forest (dessert): Chocolate and moss, spruce infused milk chocolate mousse, chocolate soil, Meringue Mushrooms and pistachio streusel.
- Duck Two Ways (entrée): Sous vide duck breast in prosciutto, sherry duck glaze, and crispy skin sand. Duck, fois gras and porcini globe with oven dried tomato. This was served with purple potato, heirloom carrots, cauliflower crisps, and pea puree.
- Cucumber Panna Cotta (dessert): Cucumber panna cotta with Ambrosia apple, celery salad, mini gelato and lime syrup, and topped with meringue.
Acqua Restaurant and Bar at Executive Suites Hotel Metro Vancouver
- Star Anise Kumquat Duck (entrée): kumquat glace de viande, smoked red kuri squash, black ink crisps, shimeji mushrooms, pickled mustard fennel kimchi, crispy lotus chips, black garlic sesame puree, and fennel tops.
- Yuzu Meringue Pie (dessert): Meyer lemon, yuzu, dulche de leche, purple tapioca crisp, macerated berries, blueberry meringue.
- Maple Pumpkin Crusted Cod (entrée): Cod fish served on a bed of Rapini Apple Chutney Potato Pave, Roasted Beet, Butternut Squash and Corn purée
- Bannock Truffle (dessert): Coconut Dark Chocolate Potato, Beet Ginger IceCream on a wafer crisp topped with a Ambrosia Apple Chip and Blueberry purée
- Pig in the Cabbage Patch (entrée): Gelderman Farms roast pork loin, fried sauercraut, cauliflower and leek fondue, fingerling potato, and olive oil sous-vide grape tomato.
- BC Ambrosia Apple Pie Gelee (dessert): Sable tart, maple dijon Chantilly Cream, Apple Cider Tuiles, Contreau Caramel, and Mint Infused Strawberry.
- Fermented Pine Mushroom Medley (entrée): Celeriac, Housemade Pumpkin Seed miso farro, pumpkin seed Dukkah, pea puree, Celeriac puree, vegetable demi, smoked fingerling potatoes, pickled daikon, shaved fennel, compressed granny smith Apple.
- Strawberry Panna Cotta (dessert): Almond Cocoa Bin Granola, compressed strawberries, sorrel yogurt sherbet, minted skim milk whipped cream
75 West Coast Grill at Marriott Vancouver Airport
- Sous vide octopus (entrée): Tender octopus served with romesco and manchego cheese cannelloni, charred corn segments, sweet corn foam, avocado puree, mole sauce.
- Ambrosia apple gateau bisque (dessert): Walnut milk sphere, charred lemon curd, pistachio and green grape soil, fruit lather, apple fluid gel, amaretto berry variations.
- Scallops (entrée): Sundried tomato crushed baja scallops with blue skin baby potato filled with yam puree, along with asparagus, baby carrots and baby beet roots served atop red cabbages, miso puree and soy orange butter sauce.
- Chocolate Cake (dessert): Molten cake filled with chocolate and raspberry sauce, chocolate dirt, and whipped vanilla panna cotta with mango fruit gel drops, finished with crystallize pear chips and edible flowers.
- Red Beet Fused Dry Aged AAA Striploin (entrée): 35 days dry aged hormone free AAA Striploin, sweet potato roulade, baby nugget puree, baby beets, caulilini, cipollini, purple brussel, squash puree, nasturtium, dark mesh tuile, and Madagascar peppercorn sauce.
- The Real Taste of Banana (dessert): White chocolate banana mousse cake tube, cocoa butter, banana compote, hazelnut dacquiose, dolce de leche, fizzy fruit berries, and edible gold dust.
- Braised Pork Cheek (entrée): Sunchoke, Ambrosia, Sour Radish, Amaranth
- Rhubarb bar (dessert): Dehydrated Vanilla Meringue, Kombucha fluid gel
And the Winner is…
- White Spot: People’s Choice Award – Duck Two Way
- The Wild Fig: Best Entrée – Red Beet Fused Dry Aged AAA Striploin
- Vancouver Community College: Best Dessert Award – Rhubarb bar
- The Wild Fig: Best Table Presentation – Jungle themed table made from all vegetables and fruit
I was great seeing and judging those that stepped up to the plate and went above and beyond incorporating fruits and vegetables to their menu creations! Missed out on this year’s competition? Watch out for next year’s 21st annual 20th Annual BCPMA Healthy Chef Competition. For more information, visit https://www.bcproducebc.ca
I was invited by BCPMA.
Vancouver International Wine Festival is one of Canada’s premier food & wine event that you don’t want to miss. Although this year’s themed wine region is California, we enjoyed a sumptuous winery lunch at Lift Bar & Grill at Coal Harbour featuring food-friendly wines from Chile and Argentina. […]
Host like a star with these new deliciously addicting dips from SPUD.ca and Be Fresh! As Chef Paul McGreevy joins their team as the new Director of Food, he has also recently come out with two dips – the Mayan Pumpkin Seed Dip and the Envious Ed […]
If you are looking for different ways to celebrate and ring in Lunar New Years, I am excited to share with you the Year of the Pig themed afternoon tea at H Tasting Lounge at The Westin Bayshore in Vancouver, Coal Harbour neighbourhood. The stylish lounge is offering a Chinese New Year inspired high tea with traditional Chinese dim sum cuisine such as BBQ Pork Puff, Braised Pork Belly Bao, Shrimp Dumpling, Seared Nian Gao, etc. delivered to you on a playful carousel display makes for a photo-worthy table situation.
The Year of the Pig Chinese New Year afternoon tea is available between February 2 to 24th at $55 per person.
H Tasting Lounge features a great tea selection from TEALEAVES. For this particular Lunar New Year, it features two green tea blends from their Fortune Collection: Floral Jasmine Green (fresh mellow overtones with a slightly astringent finish) and the Dragonwell Organic Green (3rd grade Dragonwell with mature tea leaves picked during later spring that is mild tasting with a beautiful pale celadon liquor).
Or option to add Year of the Pig Cocktail. The Year of the Pig cocktail ($16) will be available throughout the remainder of February. The aromatic blend includes Johnnie Walker Black Scotch whisky, golden apple and ginger-infused vodka, Buddha’s hand citron jelly, yellow chrysanthemum tea, and lemon juice.
If you prefer to share your mocktail drinks with your toddler like we did, I highly recommend their Free Spirited Beverages:
Tea & Tonic (red): Tealeaves Mountain Berry Tea, freshly squeeze lemon juice, raspberry syrup, Ms. Betters Bitters green strawberry bitters
Yuzu Spiritz (green): Yuzu syrup, freshly squeezed lemon juice, Ms. Betters Bitters cucumber.
Every afternoon tea set includes cotton candy and scones. It’s hard keeping your hands off it!
- BBQ Pork Puff
- Braised Pork Belly Bao
- Shrimp Dumpling
- Pork Soup Dumpling
- Fried Pork Dumpling
- Ginger Chicken Bao
- Iron Guanyin Shortbread
- Charcoal Lava Bao
- Seared Nian Gao
- Water Chestnut Jelly
We recommend taking photos quickly otherwise dishes will get cold quickly (without a steam basket).
Here’s wishing everyone a great prosperous year of the Pig!!! #豬年好運，恭喜發財，身體健康！
I was invited by H Tasting Lounge for a menu tasting.
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!
Over the years, Famoso Italian Pizzeria + Bar has been offering Italian dishes and Neapolitan pizza in Vancouver, Toronto, Calgary, Edmonton and other Canadian cities. We love their authentic Naples pizza – a thin, crisp crust, soft centre and fresh 100% Canadian cow’s milk mozzarella. […]
The other night I attended a “When Poultry Meets Wine” popup dinner at Edible Canada with Fraser Valley Specialty Poultry. The action-packed evening was filled with delicious eats featuring different poultry products, wine pairings from Ripples Estate Winery and a culinary demonstration by Chef Tobias on […]