Make this delicious copy cat Vancouver Phnom Penh Cambodian fried chicken wings recipe at home real healthy, light and crispy. Quick and easy in the Air Fryer in 30 minutes. These wings are so addictive, you'll want to make it a double!
Vancouver Phnom Penh 金邊小館
I guess it's fair to say that I have an obsession with chicken wings as like someone would over fried chicken. There's this hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Vancouver that has been serving up some serious crack chicken wings for the past couple decades. Phnom Penh 金邊小館 is located in Chinatown and there is never a shortage of people lining up - a casual rainy weeknight will set you back at least 40 minutes. Yet we all happily comply! I think it's partly because of their garlic butter sauce; and partly because of their crack dipping sauce that makes their wings so addictive!
Copy-Cat Phnom Penh Chicken Wings Recipe
To make this super delicious Cambodian chicken wings recipe at home a little healthier, I don't use any powdered MSG. I substituted the umami flavour with a little fish sauce (I like using this one most) and sugar. I also replaced deep frying the chicken wings in hot oil with an air fryer (similar here).
Crispy Chicken Wings In The Air Fryer
These chicken wings are dead easy to make. They are light and crispy! A little tangy and sweet! The skin has a nice sugary crunch! It's almost magic! All you need is some five minutes of prep time and 25 minutes of cooking time in the Air Fryer at 375F (you barely even have to lift a finger! You can go and enjoy that glass of wine and Netflix).
Crispy Fried Chicken Batter
Dipping Crack Sauce
For the dipping sauce, you will need lime juice, white pepper powder and black pepper salt (I use Wu Hsing brand but you can find similar ones at any Asian supermarket). You can also use regular ground black pepper if you can't find it. You can also add some BBQ spices for extra flavour!
I highly encourage you to make extra dipping sauce... you'll want to double-dip!
Best Air Fryer Wing Tips
- Remember to marinate the chicken wings in a large bowl for at least 20 mins to 1 hour. Let the umami flavours develop and soak thoroughly. Use a marinade mixture for that pop of umami and depth of flavour for your Phnom Penh Wings recipe.
- Crispy chicken wings are air fried twice: first at a low temperature to cook through the meat, and the second at high heat to push out the excess oil and create the crunch!
- Potato Starch: Coating your phnom penh fried chicken wings with potato starch or rice flour makes all the difference in making these crispy golden brown chicken wings! It is night and day compared to using plain old flour! Potato starch has a bit more grit and, when fried, creates little balls of crunchiness. It is lighter yet crispier and crunchier!
Best Air Fryer Cooking Method and Tips
This small kitchen appliance can be intimidating if you've never cooked with an air fryer. However, I swear by its convenience and versatility and rapidly circulating hot air to cook crispy food without too much oil!
Here are a few tips for anyone who has (or is planning on getting) an air fryer! I guarantee you will fall in love with this machine the first time cooking with it!
What is the best temperate to air fry chicken wings?
To make next level crispy Phnom Penh chicken wings, it is best to air fry wings twice at 375F and 400F the second time to mimic the high heat temperature of a roaster. Don't worry! Your flatties will still be tender with just the right about of crispy skin.
How long should I air fry wings?
Khmer Chicken wings cook for 25 minutes with a beautiful crispy skin, depending on the size and thickness of the wings. This also depends on the model and size of your air fryer oven, so you may want to reduce or increase the air frying time by one to two minutes.
Do I need to preheat the air fryer?
Based on experience, you should always preheat the air fryer before filling it with food. Doing this makes the air fryer's temperature more consistent, and your food will cook more evenly. Simply preheat your air fryer for two to three minutes before cooking.
How to choose the right air fryer?
Choosing the right air fryer for your kitchen depends on your lifestyle, available counter space, and if you intend to cook small or big-batched meals. We like the supersized XL pressure cooker and 7.6L cooking pot that is big enough to cook a small chicken, air fryer potstickers or one large head of broccoli inside like THIS Ninja Foodi Air Fryer!
How to clean air fryers easily?
Use air fryer parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan for easy clean-ups. Then wash the air fryer basket with warm soapy water.
Next time you crave fried chicken but don't want another Kentucky Fried Chicken or wings drenched in classic buffalo sauce or bbq sauce, opt for this signature dish!
These chicken wings have the crispiest skin and a juicy meat center! I guarantee these are the BEST wings you will ever make in your own home with our unsuspecting Phnom Penh secret ingredient! If you enjoy ike this healthy chicken recipe, add this family-style recipe to your easy weeknight meal menu! Also, check out our next level Air Fried Crispy Soy Chicken Recipe! I'd love to see how you went with my recipes! Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @INSTANOMSS #INSTANOMSS.Print
Phnom Penh Cambodian Fried Chicken Wings Recipe Air Fryer
Make this delicious copycat Vancouver Phnom Penh Cambodian Fried Chicken Wings Recipe healthy, light, and crisp at home. Quick and easy in the Air Fryer in 30 minutes. These wings are so addictive that you'll want to make a double batch!
- Prep Time: 5
- Cook Time: 25
- Total Time: 30
- Yield: 2 lbs 1x
- Category: Chicken Wings
- Method: Air Fryer
- Cuisine: Cambodian
- 2 lbs chicken wings
- 1 cup corn starch
Chicken Wing Marinade
- 2 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 4-6 garlic (minced)
- dash of salt and pepper
- 3-4 tablespoon white pepper powder
- 1 tbsp black pepper salt (I use Wu Hsing brand)
- 1 lime juice
- 1 tbsp butter (for air fryer)
- 1 stalk fine chopped green onions and cilantro for garnish
Crispy Cambodian Fried Chicken Wings
- In a large mixing bowl, mix fish sauce, sugar, salt and pepper, and minced garlic.
- Add chicken wings, toss and let marinade in fridge for 20 minutes. (Longer is ok too)
- In a large bowl, place corn starch and coat the chicken wings. Shake off excess flour.
- Add 1 tablespoon of butter if you want that extra garlic butter flavour. For a healthier version, you do not need to add any oil. The chicken wings will give off enough oil for cooking.
- Using a pair of tongs, add the chicken wings to the air fryer basket.
- First Fry: Turn on Air Fryer and set timer to 20 minutes at 375F, flipping halfway.
- Second Fry: Air Fry for 5 minutes at 400F.
- Enjoy that glass of wine and come back with the timer beeps.
- Removes wings with kitchen tongs and let rest on a wire rack or paper towels for few minutes. Be careful - the chicken wings are VERY HOT straight out of the air fryer! You do not want to burn your tongue!
- In a small bowl, whisk together lime juice, white pepper powder and black pepper salt. You will want enough pepper so that the lime juice turn into a grey-ish colour.
Dip your wings in that peppery lime sauce and enjoy!
- If you do not have an air fryer you can bake the chicken wings for 45 minutes at 420F. Flipping every 20 to 30 mins.
- This recipe was made in a Ninja Foodi 10-in-1 Pressure, Slow Cooker, Air Fryer.
- For even cooking, don’t overcrowd the air fryer. Arrange the wings in a single layer.
- Preheat the air fryer for a more even cooking heat distribution.
- Use air fryer parchment paper and line the bottom of the pan for easy clean ups
- Serving Size: 1 bucket
- Calories: 131
- Sugar: 5.4 g
- Sodium: 873.1 mg
- Fat: 0.8 g
- Carbohydrates: 30.2 g
- Protein: 2.3 g
- Cholesterol: 3.2 mg
Keywords: chicken wings, air fryer, phnom phen, cambodian style, 金邊, 炸雞翅, 金邊炸雞翅, ninja air fryer, philips airfryer, crispy fried chicken
Pin the above image to your Fried Chicken or Air Fryer recipe board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
MORE AIR FRYER RECIPES
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!