This Easy Bo Kho Instant Pot Recipe is a healthy twist from the traditional beef stew Vietnamese style with tomato paste and fresh lemongrass. Make this delicious Vietnamese beef stew 越式蕃茄燉牛肉(生酮飲食) in just 30 minutes! Enjoy it alone for a low-carb, Keto-friendly meal, with rice noodles soup or dipped in crusty Vietnamese baguettes!
- Vietnamese Braised Beef Brisket
- How to Make a Keto Beef Stew Bo Kho Recipe?
- Vietnamese Tomato Beef Stew Ingredients and Substitutions
- What Best Cut of Beef To Use For Braised Brisket?
- How Do I Make My Brisket Tender?
- Tenderizing Beef Rough Flank in an Instant Pot
- How To Make Instant Pot Vietnamese Beef Stew Recipe
- What To Serve With Authentic Vietnamese Beef Stew
- Keto Vietnamese Beef Stew (Bo Kho)
Vietnamese Braised Beef Brisket
Bo Kho, a Vietnamese beef stew recipe, is different from American beef stew.
French style beef stews in Vietnamese cooking have a European flair due to their French influence. The aromatic Vietnamese beef stew is similar to Chinese Hong Kong-style Chinese Braised Beef Brisket and Tendon Recipe 柱侯蘿蔔炆牛筋腩.
Herbs and spices used include star anise, lemongrass, cloves, cinnamon, ginger instead of thyme, Herb de Provence, and Oregon.
Authentic Vietnamese Bo Kho is rich and aromatically flavoured with tomato paste, lemongrass, star anise, bay leaves, cinnamon and Vietnamese beef stew seasoning. Another main ingredient is coconut water.
Since beef stew Vietnamese styles are usually thick and rich, this versatile dish can be eaten alone, over rice, or dipped in French bread loaves typically used in Banh Mi. Like Bun Bo Hue, this stew can be enjoyed thinned out with more beef broth as beef noodle soup!
How to Make a Keto Beef Stew Bo Kho Recipe?
However, suppose you are on a ketosis diet plan and require a lighter low-carb meal. In that case, the traditional Bò Kho recipe made with tomato paste and added sugar is not keto-friendly and will not fit into your keto diet or ketogenic lifestyle.
Instead, I highly recommend making a simple beef stew recipe with no added sugar like the following in the pressure cooker (I use THIS one!).
Similar to the Hong Kong Style Beef Brisket in Clear Broth 清湯牛腩, this simple keto meal prep beef stew recipe will definitely satisfy your craving while maintaining that lazy keto diet plan!
Stews are effortless to make, and I never just make small batches!
It is such a great dish to make, especially when you have an Instant Pot or a slow cooker like Crock-pot.
Who doesn't like enjoying a large bowl of fork-tender meat with lots of veggies?
Vietnamese Tomato Beef Stew Ingredients and Substitutions
Substitute a few of the main ingredients to turn this traditional beef stew into a comforting and nourishing beef stew that works into a low-carb, high-protein keto meal prep for the week with little effort!
It's all about adding keto-friendly vegetables and your favourite protein!
- Beef Brisket, Beef Shank or Beef Finger Meat
- Beef Tendons (optional but very satisfying)
- Red Carrots
- White Daikon Radish
- Celery and celery leaves (optional)
- Onion - Yellow or Red Onion
- Fresh Lemongrass - Fresh lemongrass is tough. Discard the dry outer layer and only use the tender center. With the back of the knife black, smash it a few times to help release its oils and natural flavours. You may opt to use lemongrass paste.
- Gia Vi Vietnamese Special Spice for Pho (Ingredients: Star Anise, Cloves, Cinnamon, Ginger, Spice). This pre-grounded spice pack is terrific because you can save and not have to grind together all the spices, such as a cinnamon stick.)
- Dark Soy Sauce
- Hoisin Sauce
- Fish Sauce
- Shaoxing Wine
- Chicken Broth
- Coconut Water
- Kosher Salt
- Ground White Pepper
- Rock Sugar or Brown Sugar (optional if you are not following a ketogenic lifestyle)
- Vegetable Oil
What Best Cut of Beef To Use For Braised Brisket?
I love using finger meat, aka boneless short rib 牛坑腩 - the finger-like strips between the individual beef ribs to make the best Bo Kho Vietnamese braised beef. Tendering and marinating fingermeat is an immensely satisfying beef finger meat recipe.
The following is another cut of beef that I've tried and tested to recreate that outstanding tender and juicy beef brisket recipe with daikon in the pressure cooker or slow cooker.
Flat-Cut Beef Rough Flank
Flat-cut beef rough flank (Niú nǎn in Mandarin or Ngau lam in Cantonese) is the best beef cut for this slow cooking process. Although it is a rough flank full of connective tissues, it also has a layer of fat protecting the lean meat making this meat super tender after braising!
Oxtail, the cow's tail, is delicious and releases superb rich flavours when stewed or braised. Cut into thick pieces or chunks.
Chuck steak is a large sub-prime cut of beef that is often filled with connective tissue, bones, and meat.
Often, it is used for beef roasts and slow braising. I do not prefer this beef cut but will use it if it is what I have in the kitchen.
Remember to trim off excess fat as much as possible. By trimming excess fat, you will avoid a greasy dish or the need to skim off a layer of fat from the beef stew at the end of cooking.
How Do I Make My Brisket Tender?
The Instant Pot is so unique. It helps tenderize, soften, and stew even the most challenging cut of meat in minutes! The high-pressure cooker temperature will break down the beef briskets' connective tissues, transforming and softening a tough brisket into tender, juicy meaty bites.
Tenderizing Beef Rough Flank in an Instant Pot
One of the questions we always get is how long it takes to cook brisket in an Instant Pot?
A general rule is to plan on 45 to 60 minutes per pound cooking beef brisket on the stovetop.
Since it is a tough cut of meat full of sinewy tendons and connective tissue, you will need hours to render that delicious soft texture. However, when you cook braised beef brisket in the Instant Pot, you only need a fraction of the time.
This shortcut pressure cooker method only takes 20 to 30 minutes to achieve that fork-tender braised brisket. Because who really wants to cook beef brisket for six hours?
How To Make Instant Pot Vietnamese Beef Stew Recipe
Before cooking the brisket and tendons, always remember to
parboil and blanch the brisket and tendons in a big pot of boiling water to remove the impurities for approximately 5 minutes. Rinse off the white foam from the parboiled meat under cold water.
You may skip this step if you prefer to marinate the meat beforehand. Marinating the beef will add extra flavour and help tenderize the meat. However, it is unnecessary as you will be cooking in a pressure cooker.
If you are using a sub-prime cut, you can tenderize the meat with a can of coconut soda, coke or sprite.
Cut the beef brisket and tendons into large chunks approximately 3 inches thick. The meat will shrink a lot in size after being braised. If the tendons are still too tough to cut, you can place it whole into the Instant Pot and cut it afterwards.
Heat vegetable oil on Saute Mode in the Instant Pot - when Instant Pot reaches the given working temperature, it displays "Hot" and you can start sautéing).
First, add aromatics like garlic, ginger onions and lemongrass and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Once you smell the fragrant aromatics, it is time to brown the meat.
Next, add parboiled or marinated beef finger meat short ribs and beef tendons into the Instant Pot.
Browned beef or seared beef is an essential step for various reasons. It locks in the natural juices in the beef cubes. The charred bits on the sides and bottom of the pan also improve this delicious stew's flavour complexity. Browning beef creates the best results. Taste test it for yourself!
Once all the brisket and tendons are evenly browned, combine beef and tomatoes and add root vegetables such as carrots and white radish daikons.
Add stewing marinade ingredients and cooking liquid such as chicken broth, coconut water, Shaoxing wine, dark soy sauce, and Hoisin Sauce. This will be the base for the rich broth!
Mix well with kitchen tongs.
Close and lock the Instant Pot cover and set pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes, followed by natural release.
If the delicious Vietnamese pot of stew broth appears too thin, reduce the cooking liquid by setting the Instant Pot on Saute Mode and giving it a gentle simmer for two to five minutes to desired consistency.
Garnish with cilantro, scallions, Thai basil, lime wedges and lime leaves.
Pro Tip: Skim off excess layer of fat in the large pot.
I recommend preparing enough beef to make a lazy keto meal prep for the week.
Comfort food leftovers taste better the next day as the flavours continue to develop overnight.
What To Serve With Authentic Vietnamese Beef Stew
- Low-calorie flatbread or tortillas
- Vietnamese baguettes
- Rice Pho Noodles
- Vegan Fish Sauce Vietnamese Nước Chấm (easy)
- Egg-Free Crispy Vietnamese Pancake Crepe (Bánh Xèo)
- Phnom Penh Cambodian Fried Chicken Wings
Did you make this Keto-Friendly Low Carb Vietnamese Beef Stew Pressure Cooker with Daikon Recipe? I'd love to see how you went with my recipes! Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @INSTANOMSS #INSTANOMSSPrint
Keto Vietnamese Beef Stew (Bo Kho)
This easy Bo Kho Instant Pot recipe is a healthy twist from the traditional beef stew Vietnamese style with tomato paste and fresh lemongrass. Make this delicious Vietnamese Beef Stew in just 30 minutes! Enjoy it alone for a low-carb, Keto-friendly meal, with rice noodles soup or dipped in crusty Vietnamese baguettes!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 20
- Total Time: 30 minutes
- Yield: 6 1x
- Category: Main Dishes
- Method: Instant Pot
- Cuisine: Vietnamese
- 2 lbs Beef Brisket, Beef Shank or Beef Finger Meat, 3 inches chunks
- 1 lbs Beef Tendons (optional), 3 inches chunks
- 2 carrots, 2 inches chunks
- 1 daikon radish, 2 inches chunks
- 2 stalks celery, rough chop (celery leaves for garnish, optional)
- 3-inch knob of ginger, peeled, sliced
- 1 medium onion, quartered
- 4 medium tomatoes, quartered
- 1 stalk of lemongrass, ¼ inch thick, tender part
- 1 pack of Gia Vi Vietnamese Special Spice for Pho (Ingredients: Star Anise, Cloves, Cinnamon, Ginger, Spice)
- 2 tsbp dark soy
- 1 tbsp hoisin sauce
- 1 tbsp fish sauce
- 2 tbsp Shaoxing Wine
- 2 cups Chicken Broth
- 1 cup coconut water
- 5-6 cloves garlic, rough chop
- 2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp ground white pepper
- 1 tbsp paprika
- 50g rock sugar (optional)
- In a large pot of boiling water, blanch and parboil the brisket and tendons for 5 minutes to remove impurities.
- Remove briskets and tendons from the pot and rinse off the white foam from the parboiled meat under cold water.
- Cut the briskets and tendons into large cubes. If the tendons are still too tough to cut, you can place it whole into the Instant Pot and cut it afterwards.
- You may skip steps 1 to 3 if you prefer to marinate the meat beforehand. Marinate the beef with salt, ground white pepper and a can of coconut soda, coke or sprite.
- Cut the beef brisket and tendons into large chunks approximately 3 inches thick. The meat will shrink a lot in size after being braised. If the tendons are still too tough to cut, you can place it whole into the Instant Pot and cut it afterwards.
- Heat vegetable oil on Saute Mode in the Instant Pot - when Instant Pot reaches the given working temperature, it displays "Hot" and you can start sautéing).
- First, add aromatics like garlic, ginger onions and lemongrass and let simmer for 2 to 3 minutes. Once you smell the fragrant aromatics, it is time to brown the meat.
- Next, add parboiled or marinated beef finger meat short ribs and beef tendons into the Instant Pot.
- Brown the meat evenly for three to five minutes. Flipping halfway with kitchen tongs.
- Combine beef and tomatoes and add root vegetables such as carrots and white radish daikons.
- Add stewing marinade ingredients and cooking liquid such as chicken broth, coconut water, Shaoxing wine, dark soy sauce, and Hoisin Sauce. Mix well with kitchen tongs.
- Close and lock the Instant Pot cover and set pressure cook on high pressure for 20 minutes, followed by natural release*.
- If the delicious Vietnamese pot of stew broth appears too thin, reduce the cooking liquid by setting the Instant Pot on Saute Mode and giving it a gentle simmer for two to five minutes to desired consistency.
- Garnish with cilantro, scallions, Thai basil, lime wedges and lime leaves.
Vietnamese spice for beef pho soy packsBuy Now →
- *30 minutes if you prefer your meat extra soft!
- Served with rice or soup noodles or low-calorie flatbread or tortillas.
- Leftover stock can be frozen for up to a week for healthy Vietnamese food meal prep keto recipes.
- Serving Size: 1 pot
- Calories: 261
- Sugar: 5.8 g
- Sodium: 2018.9 mg
- Fat: 5.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 13.9 g
- Fiber: 3.7 g
- Protein: 36.2 g
- Cholesterol: 92.1 mg
Keywords: keto diet, lazy keto, tomato soup, 低卡, 低脂, 減肥餐, 生酮飲食 , keto diet, braised beef, athentic bo kho, vietnamese beed stew, brisket, instant pot, pressure cooker, slow cooker
Pin the above image to your Asian Recipe Pinterest Board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
More Chinese Recipes
Sichuan Mala Mouth Water Chicken 四川麻辣口水雞
Air Fryer BBQ Pork Char Siu 氣炸鍋蜜汁叉燒
Red Bean Soup (Instant Pot) 蓮子百合紅豆沙
Braised Beef Brisket & Tendon 柱侯蘿蔔炆牛筋腩
Best Postpartum Pig Trotter Black Vinegar and Ginger 豬腳薑醋
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!
I have seen so many asian dishes that take forever, and I myself take forever to cook anything so I usually don't try them but this looks very simple and quick. I should try it.
I tried this recipe with the veg version and it turned out super yummy.
Emily Flint says
Another amazing Instant Pot recipe from you! My guys and I loved this stew!
Emily Flint says
Another amazing Instant Pot recipe! My guys loved this and so did I!!
Love that this stew recipe is for the air fryer! Makes it so easy to whip up. Love it!
Jere Cassidy says
Really, I could just drink this broth, it's so good. I learned about putting star anise in broths and not I do that all the time. Thanks for sharing this as an IP recipe.
I love that this stew was made in just 30 minutes! I put some radish kimchi on top and it was perfection.
Oh my gosh, this was so good! I loved the gentle spices and flavours, so comforting!
So hearty and flavorful!
This beef stew looks delicious I need to try it.
love this keto dish! so so good!
Yumm this was packed with flavor, just absolutely delicious!
Comforting and so deliciously flavoursome!
Such a great dish. Thanks for sharing
Delicious! Loved this recipe
Andréa Janssen says
A really delicious stew and easy to prepare! Thank you for sharing!
Healthy, tasty and so easy to make in the Instant Pot!
Yum! So delicious! Love it!
Gina Abernathy says
I love to make and eat beef stew year-round. This is so amazing and delicious!
So many delicious flavors! Big fan of this soup!
This is fantastic!
I like how you made it healthier, lemon grass gives that fragrance aroma and adds flavor.
This is exactly what I was looking for. I needed some new recipes while on keto as I was getting stuck in a rut.
Looks tasty! I look forward to trying a veggie version of this recipe.
I love how this is flavored! Do you think it would work with textured vegetable protein instead of beef?
This is absolutely delicious. I used venison and it came out great.
This was so delicious. Thanks for sharing!
Awesome! I'm so happy you loved it!
Love to use beef tendons in this recipe!
Me too! What a great way to add extra collagen to the meal!
What an interesting recipe! It sounds very wholesome, I really want to veganize it sometime
oh yes!! I would suggest seitan!
This Vietnamese beef stew is one tasty 30-minute recipe!
it's the perfect weeknight meal prep meal!
The flavors are amazing!
Awesome! I'm so happy you loved it!
I love that this recipe works with keto!
yes it is! perfect and keto-friendly or if you are just looking for a little less added sugar!
Love that this is keto friendly! Delicious stew!
Awesome! I'm so happy you loved it!
Such a delicious stew and easy to make. Bonus that it is keto-friendly too!
Absolutely delicious. Enjoyed every morsel.
i'm so happy to hear that!! thank you!