Turn this otherwise fatty dish into a plant-based, protein-rich vegan rice bowl using fermented soy-based tempeh. The texture holds true with an excellent melt-in-your-mouth satisfaction of savoury sweet umami - firm yet soft enough with every bite! If you love the traditional Taiwanese Braised Pork Belly dish, you will LOVE this healthier Vegan Taiwanese Braised "Pork Belly" Lu Rou Fan 素食滷肉飯.
What is Taiwanese Braised Pork Belly Rice?
Taiwanese Braised Pork Belly Rice is sometimes known as Minced Pork Rice. This infamous dish is iconic to Taiwanese cuisine. It is the ultimate comfort food made using pork belly braised in a savoury-sweet umami sauce. Nonetheless, this dish is heavy and quite fatty.
To make this dish healthier without losing its identity, we used tempeh. We like using tempeh from Tempea.
WHAT IS TEMPEH?
Tempeh (tempe) is a fermented soybean product that Indonesians like to use in traditional Indonesian cuisine. Tempeh uses a mould culture called Rhizopus. It produces a white outer layer as the mould's mycelia spread and grow in and around each soybean. As a result, this network of mycelia is what holds the product together into a patty-like consistency.
Unlike tofu, it has a firmer, "meatier" texture with a savoury, nutty flavour profile.
We like using tempeh made by Tempea - made using certified organic, non-GMO soybeans!
Thoroughly cook your unpasteurized tempeh with an internal temperature of 165° F (75° C). Do not eat raw tempeh.
HEALTH BENEFIT OF TEMPEH
Tempeh is a rich source of plant-based protein and fibre that is low in saturated fat, free of trans fat, cholesterol-free, and sodium-free. It is also an excellent source of iron and calcium and may increase bone density and prevent bone loss. Fermented foods have probiotics that promote good gut health!
Do not consume tempeh that exhibits signs of spoilage: off odours, soft, mushy texture, pink discoloration, dark brown coffee-like beans, slimy or sticky texture.
How To Cook Tempeh?
There are various ways to cook the tempeh. Some people like to steam it, and some people like to grill or pan fry thinly-slice tempeh.
I prefer to break up tempeh pieces in a boiling pot of water for ten minutes with ½ teaspoon salt to remove the bitterness.
How to Cook Vegan Taiwanese Braised "Pork Belly"
You do not need to marinate tempeh ahead of time for this Taiwanese "Pork Belly" Rice recipe because you will be braising the tempeh on the non-frying pan.
This essential cooking pan is ceramic non-stick made without PFOAS and PTFES. I love the modular lid to release and trap steam effectively, perfect for braising recipes - sautee first and braising after.
Sautee the tempeh with garlic, ginger, finely chopped green onions, chilli peppers for a few minutes.
Next, add in your marinade sauce: dark soy, light soy, Shaoxing wine, rock sugar, honey, soy packet and water. For convenience, I like using Vietnamese spice for beef pho soy packs. You can purchase this at any Asian supermarket or online. Alternatively, you can use a five spice spice mix combination of Szechuan peppercorns, cloves, cumin, star anise and cinnamon.
Braise the tempeh at low heat for 30 minutes.
While the tempeh is braising, cook a pot of rice in your rice cooker. For this recipe, perhaps the most crucial ingredient is a hot bowl of white jasmine rice. Scoop the braised tempeh and sauce onto the rice and serve!
I bet you can not just eat one bowl of rice with this vegan braised tempeh recipe!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE SEE HOW YOU WENT WITH MY RECIPES! LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW OR TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM @INSTANOMSS #INSTANOMSSPrint
Turn this otherwise fatty dish into a plant-based, protein-rich vegan rice bowl using fermented soy-based tempeh. The texture holds true with an excellent melt-in-your-mouth satisfaction of savoury sweet umami – firm yet soft enough with every bite! If you love the traditional Taiwanese Braised Pork Belly dish, you will LOVE this healthier Vegan Taiwanese Braised “Pork Belly” Lu Rou Fan 素食滷肉飯.
- 400g tempeh 天貝
- 4 stalks green onions, white part 蔥
- 5-6 garlic cloves 蒜頭
- 20g ginger 薑
- 1-2 bird's eye chili, seeds removed (optional) 紅辣椒
- 1 packet Vietnamese spice for beef pho soy packs, 滷包(滷包的成份: 花椒, 丁香, 小茴香, 八角, 肉桂) 1包
- 3 tablespoon dark soy 老抽 (see notes)
- 1 tablespoon light soy 生抽 (see notes)
- 2 tablespoon Shaoxing Wine 紹興酒
- 2 tablespoon rock sugar 冰糖
- 1 teaspoon salt 鹽
- 2 teaspoon honey (vegan option use maple syrup) 蜂蜜 或素食用楓糖漿
- 500ml water 水
- Break up tempeh into pieces and cook tempeh in a medium pot of boiling water for ten minutes with ½ teaspoon salt to remove the bitterness.
- Remove tempeh from water and drain well.
- In a non-stick pan, sautee the tempeh with garlic, ginger, finely chopped green onions, chilli peppers for a few minutes. - We like using the Always Pan (save $10 when you purchase an Always Pan with this link).
- In a separate bowl, mix marinade ingredients.
- Braise the tempeh at low heat for 30 minutes.
- While the tempeh is braising, cook a pot of rice in your rice cooker. For this recipe, perhaps the most crucial ingredient is a hot bowl of white jasmine rice. Scoop the braised tempeh and sauce onto the rice and serve!
- I bet you can not just eat one bowl of rice with this vegan braised tempeh recipe!
- 大火在鍋中, 用大蒜，姜，切碎的大蔥，辣椒，天貝，拌勻，炒幾分鐘。
Keywords: Vegan Taiwanese Braised Pork Belly, Lu Rou Fan, 素食滷肉飯, 滷肉飯, tempeh, tempe, tempea, 天貝, comfort dishes, taiwan food, chinese recipe, pork recipes, vegan rice bowls
Pin the above image to your Chinese Cuisine Recipe Board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
MORE CHINESE RECIPES:
- CHINESE TEA LEAF EGGS 茶葉蛋
- RED BEAN SOUP INSTANT POT 蓮子百合紅豆沙
- DOUBLE-STEAMED SNOW PEAR WITH FRITILLARIA BULB RECIPE 川貝燉雪梨
- INSTANTPOT TAIWANESE GREEN ONION BEEF ROLLS RECIPE 牛肉捲餅
- INSTANTPOT BEEF BRISKET 柱侯蘿蔔炆牛筋腩
- Stir Fry Okra with Black Fungus 秋葵炒雲耳
- Black Moss Black Eye Bean Soup 髮菜眉豆花生排骨湯
- Pig Trotter with Black Vinegar and Ginger Recipe 豬腳薑醋
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!