Coix seed / barley water is naturally diuretic and helps to reduce heat and remove dampness! It’s been super humid lately so this drink is the perfect detox sweet soup!
Raw coix is “cooling” and invigorates the spleen. Cooked coix is used to detox the liver.
Enjoy it hot or chilled for a refreshing summer drink!
HEALTH BENEFITS OF CHINESE HERBS
生薏米 Raw Coix Seed - It has the appearance of a deep concave on one side. Its primary characteristics removes dampness and wind - suitable to drink during Spring. Its nature is cold and suitable for people with a hot body. Raw coix seeds invigorates the spleen, relieve diarrhea, improves spleen and intestinal pain.
熟薏米 Cooked Coix Seed - It has a puffy appearance, similar to a rice crispy cereal. Cooked coix seed nature is cold, but less so compared to raw coix seed. It also invigorate and improves the spleen, relieve diarrhea diuretic, and intestinal pain.
The benefits and medicinal usage of both raw and cooked coix seeds are similar. The main difference is that raw coix seeds nature is much colder, so when you use raw barley it is important not too put too much in. You can use half of each to make the drink/soup more neutral (not too cold and not too hot.)
It is great to drink this to cool of the heat in the hot summer months and immune boosting in the winter.
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE SEE HOW YOU WENT WITH MY RECIPES! LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW OR TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM @INSTANOMSS #INSTANOMSS Print
Lemon Coix Seed Water 檸檬薏米水 is a delicious and invigorating sweet lemony drink that is naturally diuretic and helps to reduce heat and remove dampness! Drink this when the weather is humid of when you feel weighted down - this is the perfect detox sweet soup!
- 1 lemon 檸檬
- 50g raw coix seed 生薏米
- 50g cooked coix seed 熟薏米
- 100g rock sugar 冰糖
- 1.5 L filtered water 水
- Slice lemon and remove seeds.
- Wash raw/cooked coix seeds and soak for 1 hour. Rinse.
- Boil raw/cooked coix seeds then reduce heat to low-medium and cook another 1 hour.
- Add in rock sugar. Stir until dissolved.
- Turn off the stove and add in lemon slices. Cover pot with lid and soak for 10 minutes.
- Remove lemon slices.
- 熄火，加入檸檬片浸10分鐘。 浸完後拿去。
- 溫馨提示： 檸檬記得要去核，如果唔係會苦的。
- Remember to remove the lemon seeds otherwise your drink will get bitter.
- double the recipe if you want to make extra and store in the refrigerator to enjoy later!
- Serving Size: 1 pot
- Calories: 195
- Sugar: 26.7 g
- Sodium: 3.3 mg
- Fat: 0.4 g
- Carbohydrates: 48.6 g
- Protein: 2.7 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: Chinese Medicinal Food Therapy, lemon coix seed water, 檸檬薏米水, 生薏米, 熟薏米, chinese herbs, tcm, traditional chinese medicine, sweet soup, dessert, job's tears seed
Pin the above image to your Chinese Cuisine Recipe Board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
MORE VEGAN DESSERT RECIPES:
- RED BEAN SOUP INSTANT POT 蓮子百合紅豆沙
- DOUBLE-STEAMED SNOW PEAR WITH FRITILLARIA BULB RECIPE | 川貝燉雪梨
- HOJICHA OAT MILK ICE CREAM (NO CHURN, EGG FREE, DAIRY FREE)
- BLUEBERRY LEMON ZEST COCONUT MILK ICE CREAM
- KETO FRIENDLY BLUEBERRY SMOOTHIE
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.