Maenam – a fresh approach to Thai cooking totally has me rethinking about Thai food! With countless recipes, techniques, pairings and modern substitutes, cooking your favourite Thai dish couldn’t be easier! Angus has so many mouth-watering recipes and vibrant photographs that even just flipping thru the pages has me salivating! I’m so thankful for Maenam Restaurant for sending me this new cookbook for a review!
- Noodles and One-Bowl Meals
I love how all the recipes has an unique flavour depth that you are build and the sauces are universal and handy to have as staple condiments in our household!
My Favourite Recipes That I’ve Bookmarked:
- Hainanese Chicken on rice
- Uni Sundae
- Steamed Mussels with Lemongrass and Thai Basil
- Chiang Mai Curried Chicken and Noodle Soup
- Southern Style Grilled Fish Soup
- Green Papaya Salad
- Scallop Ceviche
- Stir Fried Black Pepper Spot Prawns
- Nahm Jim Jiao
One of my favourite food things whenever I go on trips to Asia is ordering their Pad Thai. Everyone always seems to have a little special secret ingredient that makes it a little different. I always find preparing and cooking for the perfect Pad Thai onerous – so I like to leave it to the pros!Print
GREEN PAPAYA SALAD IS, by far, the most popular dish among Thai people. It’s most commonly portioned for one person, but is also easily shared as an appetizer between two or three. The simplicity, robust flavours, sharpness, and balance of this salad make it a perfect ambassador for Thai cuisine, and it highlights the full spectrum of Thai flavours: hot, sour, sweet, and salty. There are countless regional variants of this dish, but this is the classic version, also known as som dtam thai.
- 2–3 red Thai bird’s eye chilies 1-2 garlic cloves
- Pinch of coarse sea salt 2 Tbsp palm sugar
- 2 Tbsp dried prawns
- 1 Tbsproasted peanuts, skinned
- 1 Tbsp Tamarind Water (page 233)
- 1 Tbsp freshly squeezed lime juice Fish sauce, to taste
- 1 cup shredded green papaya
- 1/8 cup sliced long beans, cut into 1-inch lengths
- 4 cherry tomatoes, halved 2 Tbsp shredded carrot
- Using a mortar and pestle, pound the chilies and garlic together into a fine paste, using a pinch of salt as an abrasive. Add the palm sugar, dried prawns, and roasted peanuts, and pound everything together until it becomes a coarse paste. Add the tamarind water, lime juice, and fish sauce to complete the dressing, and stir with the pestle until fully incorporated.
- Add the green papaya, long beans, cherry tomatoes, and carrot and pound lightly to bruise and soften them so they can absorb the dressing, then toss to combine with the paste. Alternatively, if your mortar and pestle isn’t large enough to handle all the ingredients, you can use a pestle with a large mixing bowl for the vegetables. The finished salad should taste sour, salty, lightly sweet, and hot.
- It’s common for most Thai kitchens to have more than one kind of mortar and pestle. For this recipe, look for a clay mortar with a wooden pestle or a wooden mortar and pestle combination. They’re commonly used by Thai street vendors specifically for making green papaya salad, and they prevent you from overpounding the vegetables while still bruising them enough to absorb the dressing.
Keywords: Green Papaya Salad, Thai Salad, asian cooking, thai food, maenam, vancouver, maenam cookbook, angus an
Excerpted from Maenam by Angus An. Copyright © 2020 Angus An. Photography by Darren Chuang. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Absolutely! If you love Thai cuisine and want to explore cooking at home, There are lots of helpful tips and concepts on how to balance flavours. It will help you save time too!
Where to Purchase?
Title: Maenam: A Fresh Approach To Thai Cooking
Product dimensions: 288 pages, 10.02 X 8.23 X 0.95 in
Shipping dimensions: 288 pages, 10.02 X 8.23 X 0.95 in
Published: August 4, 2020
Publisher: Appetite by Random House
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
ISBN – 10: 0147530946
ISBN – 13: 9780147530943
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!