What do you make on repeat in your house? This easy Turkish spiced beef freekah bowl is loaded with veggies and the Turkish spice mix just checks all the boxes and we just can't get enough of it around here! Make a big batch of the Turkish spice mix and have it on hand whenever you need to whip up a quick vegetable dip, salad dressing or simply as a rub for your roasted meats and vegetables. For this healthy buddha bowl, you can opt to add meat or simply go meatless. Simply substitute or meat protein with either a plant-based protein to keep it vegan.
What is Freekah?
Freekah (pronounced free-kah) is a type wheat. Sometimes it is called farik. In short, it is wheat that is harvested while young and green. It is firm, slightly chewy with an earthy, nutty and smoky flavour profile. Freekah is a super-grain loaded with nutritional benefits. Freekah has more protein and twice as much fibre as quinoa - which means that freekah will keep you feeling fuller for longer. It is also packed with iron, calcium, zinc and acts as a probiotic for a healthy gut! Another health benefit of Freekah is that it has a lower glycemic index (great for people managing diabetes) and helps keeps your blood sugar steady.
TURKISH SPICE BEEF FREEKAH BOWL WITH PICKLED CABBAGE
This easy Turkish Spiced Beef Freekah Bowl is loaded with protein, fibre, veggies and flavour.
- Prep Time: 10 mins
- Cook Time: 30 mins
- Total Time: 40 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: Health, Salad
- Method: Stove Top
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- 1lb Beef Strips
- 1 cup Freekah
- 1 onion, chopped
- 3 cloves garlic, chopped
- 2 tbsp of Turkish Spice Mix (see below)
- 250g red cabbage
- 1 lemon, juiced and zested
- 25g parsley, chopped
- 25g cilantro, chopped
- ½ cup green peas
- 1 cup vegetable or chicken broth
- 4 tbsp Mayonnaise
- 4 tbsp Red Wine Vinegar
- salt and pepper for taste
- 1 tsp sugar
- 2 tsp olive oil
- Wash and rinse Freekah. Then in a large pot combine Freekah with vegetable or chicken broth. Cover and bring to a boil over high heat. Once boiling, reduce heat and simmer for 20 - 25 mins or until Freekah is tender. All the liquid should have absorbed.
- In a small bowl, whisk together mayonnaise, 2 teaspoon of lemon juice and 2 minced garlic to make Toum sauce. Set aside.
- In a large bowl, mix together beef strips (I like to use beef tenderloins and cut into 2-inch strips), Turkish Spice Mix, remaining minced garlic, a dash of salt and pepper. Set aside and let marinade.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium heat. When the pan is hot add cabbage, Red Wine Vinegar, 5 tablespoon water, 1 tsp of sugar and a dash of salt. Stirring occasionally until bright pink. Remove cabbage from the pan into a bowl. Set aside.
- Heat a large non-stick pan over medium-high heat. Once the pan is hot, add 2 teaspoon of olive oil and the marinated beef strips. Cook for approximately 5 mins or until browned (medium-rare).
- In the bowl with the pickled cabbage, mix in chopped parsley, cooked Freekah, lemon zest, peas 1 tablespoon of lemon juice, and a drizzle of olive oil. Mix well and season with salt and pepper.
- Divide and serve. Garnish with remaining parsley, cilantro, garlic Toum sauce and a squeeze of lemon juice.
Substitute meat protein with plant-based if you want to make this into a veggie-vegan bowl.
Keywords: Turkish Spiced, Freekah, Salad, Pickled Cabbage, Middle Eastern, Spice Mix, High Protein, Wheat, Ancient Grains
TURKISH SPICE MIX
A robust blend of Turkish Spice Mix is perfect for a quick vegetable dip, easy salad dressing or as a rub for your grilled/roasted meats and vegetables.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 5 minutes
- Yield: 1 jar 1x
- Category: spice
- Cuisine: Middle Eastern
- Combine all spices together in a small bowl. Mix well.
- Make ahead and store in an airtight spice container for up to 3 months.
Keywords: Middle Eastern, Spices, Grocery, Spice Blend, Rub Mix, Turkish Spiced Mix, Turkish Spice Blend
Pin the above image to your Healthy Veggie recipe board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!