馬蘭頭 Ma Lan Tou is a simple and refreshing cold appetizer that is very easy to make. It is usually served with a selection of small plates beginning any Shanghainese feast. For one, I like that it takes only 5 to 6 ingredients. It goes wonderfully with rice, saucy dishes and has a fragrant but mild flavor.
Ma Lan Tou (MLT) is also known as Kalimeris Indica (Indian Aster). It is a flowering herbaceous perennial plant (similar to a daisy or chrysanthemum) and grows mainly in China, Korea, and Japan. It is said that the plant is used in traditional Chinese medicine to treat acute inflammations, high blood pressure and is also effective in stopping the bleeding.
Whether it holds up to its medicinal uses I enjoy the extra serving of vegetables and dried bean curd.
In Vancouver (Canada), MLT usually is packaged frozen. Rarely, do you ever see fresh leaves sold at supermarkets. Thaw and boil to remove the chillness. Run under cold water to stop the cooking. Using a colander, drain all water from the veggie and press out excess water.
This Ma Lan Tou recipe requires dried tofu豆腐干/豆干. If you don’t have these stocked at home, you can always use bean curd sheets (sometimes called bean curd threads). Since they come dried, you will need to soak them for at least 10 to 15 mins in hot water.
If you use Dried Tofu, simply dice finely. If you bean curd sheets after soaked in water, ensure you press out the water. Pat dry remaining moisture. Then dice finely. The texture will be firm and a little rubbery.
Ma Lan Tou Recipe | Kalimeris Indica Tofu Salad 馬蘭頭
Ma Lan Tou is a simple and refreshing cold appetizer that is very easy to make. It is usually served with a selection of small plates beginning any Shanghainese feast. For one, I like that it takes only 5 to 6 ingredients. It goes wonderfully with rice, saucy dishes and has a fragrant but mild flavor.
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 2-4 servings 1x
- Category: Appetizer
- Method: Blanching
- Cuisine: Chinese
- Wash Ma Lan Tou with cornstarch. This is optional. But I find adding cornstarch helps to draw out dirt and any muddy flavors from the plant.
- If you are using frozen MLT, thaw, and blanch in boiling water for a few minutes to remove the chillness. Rinse with cold water.
- Drain water using a colander. Press out excess water with hands. Pat dry with paper towel. Finely dice MLT.
- Finely chop dried tofu/ bean curd.
- Add the finely diced MLT and dried tofu in a large mixing bowl.
- Add salt, sugar, soy sauce, and sesame oil. Toss and mix well.
- Tightly pack into bowl or cup and invert onto a dish to serve. I usually use a rice bowl.
- This dish can be made ahead of time and kept chilled in the refrigerator.
- Serve 4 (or serves barely 2 if you have me at your table)! I can this all to myself!
- Remember to drain well. The drier you can get the MTL the better. Wring tea towel also helps
Keywords: Ma Lan Tou Recipe, Kalimeris Indica Tofu Salad, 馬蘭頭, Shanghainese, Chinese Cuisine, Chinese recipes, Malantou, recipes
Pin the above image to your Chinese Food Recipe Board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
more: INSTANTPOT TAIWANESE GREEN ONION BEEF ROLLS RECIPE | 牛肉捲餅 | InstantPot Beef Brisket | Stir Fry Okra with Black Fungus 秋葵炒雲耳 | Black Moss Black Eye Bean Soup 髮菜眉豆花生排骨湯| Pig Trotter with Black Vinegar and Ginger Recipe 豬腳薑醋
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.