Don’t throw away the the lobster shell when you make anything lobster! Instead make Lobster Stock – lobster shells are great to make delicious stock that can be used in other seafood soups, stews, sauce or lobster bisque! Simply extract the meat and roast the shells! You can even freeze the shells for later after you extract the meat!
Best Way to Remove Lobster Meat
- Blanch in boiling salt water for 2 minutes before dismembering.
- Twist to separate the body from the head.
- On a cutting board, split the lobster body with a heavy knife.
- Remove and discard the stomach sack (remove the the light green lobster tomalley).
- Hold the tail with shell facing down and pull back on both sides to crack open the shell and remove the meat.
- Twist arms to remove both claws and knuckles from the body. Break the knuckles at the joint using a lobster cracking tool. If the meat is stuck inside, use a skewer or cocktail forks to push the meat out of the shell.
- Use a rolling pin or wine bottle, roll the meat from claw end and toward the open end, pushing the meat out. Open tip of leg and release pieces of the shell. This is great to remove meat from the legs.
I ordered my live lobster from Clearwater.ca. It arrived next day nicely packaged with ice and very much alive! The lobsters are MSC certified and harvested from the pristine waters of the North Atlantic. Did you know, Clearwater Premium Hardshell Fresh™ Canadian lobster yields up to 50% more meat than soft shell lobsters?!
Use my discount code “INSTANOMSS” for 10% off your Clearwater.ca purchase!Print
Don’t throw away the the lobster shell when you make anything lobster! Instead make Lobster Stock – lobster shells are great to make delicious stock that can be used in other seafood soups, sauce or lobster bisque! Simply extract the meat and roast the shells! You can even freeze the shells for later after you extract the meat!
- Preheat oven to 450°F.
- Blanch the lobsters in boiling water for 2 minute
- Split the lobster bodies with a heavy knife or kitchen shears. Remove and discard tomalley stomach sack.
- Remove lobster meat from shells.
- Toss and lightly coat the lobster shells with olive oil.
- On a large baking sheet, arrange the lobster shells in a single layer.
- Roast in oven until the shells look bleached and are dried for 15-20 minutes.
- Add the roasted lobster shells to a large stockpot.
- Add 3L of water, white wine, garlic, leeks and tomato paste into the stockpot and bring to a boil.
- Add salt and black peppercorns to taste.
- Reduce heat to low-medium and simmer for 2 hours.
- In a colander, over a large bowl or pot, strain the stock. Press on the ingredients to get all the liquids out before discarding.
- Let cool before refrigerating or freezing.
- Use for seafood soups, stews, sauces or lobster bisques!
Use for seafood soups, stews, sauces or lobster bisques! SO GOOD!
Keywords: lobster soup, how to make lobster stock, BEST WAY TO REMOVE LOBSTER MEAT, how to remove lobster meat, seafood soups, lobster stews, lobster sauces, lobster bisques, tomato paste, seafood fish broth
Did you make this recipe? I’d love see how you went with my recipes! Leave a comment below or Tag me on Instagram @Instanomss #instanomss
PIN THE ABOVE IMAGE TO YOUR SOUP FOOD RECIPE BOARD TO BOOKMARK THIS PAGE. WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE OUR RECIPES WITH YOU!
MORE SEAFOOD RECIPES:
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.