Modern Lunch totally has me rethinking about lunch! With over 100 recipes for assembling the midday meal, Lunch has become our favourite meal of the day! Allison has so many mouth-watering recipes and vibrant photographs that even just flipping thru the pages has me salivating! Most of all, I love her vegetable-forward meals that won't weigh you down! I'm so thankful for Penguin Random House Canada sending me Allison's new cookbook for a review!
- Lunch to go: meals in jars, soups and stews
- Lunch at home: plates and bowls; salads and substances
- Sharing lunch on the weekend: platters, brunch for lunch; picnic baskets
- Make lunch special: modern lunch club, lunchbox treasures,
- Lunch Larder: modern meal prep stables, gear guide,
There are over 100 delicious recipes to choose from. They are short little love notes, concise and non-fussy. I love the bright and vivid food photography that makes you WANT it, like, now!
My favourite recipes that I’ve bookmarked include:
- Turkish Poached Eggs
- Cold Noodle Salad
- Just-Add-Water Miso, Sweet Potato, and Soba Ramen
- Sweet Potato, Chard, and Smoked Cheddar Frittata
- Farro, Beet, Asparagus, and Watercress Picnic Salad
One my of favourite food things I discovered on one of my many trips to Portland, was the deliciously of a well-created. well-nourished lunch bowl. Like Allison, it became my "Happy Place" and an "expression of modern healthy eating that I believe anyone can get behind."
California Lunch Bowl Recipe
While writing this book, I finally ventured to California, and it became a new “happy place” for me. Gjusta, a bakery and restaurant in Venice Beach, California, has a grain bowl that played with temperature, texture, and flavour in a way I’d never experienced before and needed to recreate immediately upon my return home. The soft egg in this bowl, like the one I enjoyed at Gjusta, marries with the lightest, clearest dressing for an expression of modern healthy eating that I believe anyone can get behind.
- Prep Time: 5 mins
- Cook Time: 5 mins
- Total Time: 10 minutes
- Yield: 2 servings 1x
- Category: lunch bowl
- Method: lunch bowl
- Cuisine: pacific northwest
- 1 Tbsp distilled white vinegar
- 2 large eggs
- 2 cups cooked brown rice (page 241) or quinoa (page 242), preferably warm
- 2 cups shredded romaine lettuce
- 1⁄4 bulb fennel, shaved
- 1 avocado, halved, peeled, and sliced
- 2 Tbsp extra-virgin olive oil 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar Salt
- Ground black pepper
- 1 tsp minced fresh red Thai chili
- 2 Tbsp dukkah (page 168)
- 1⁄4 cup chopped fresh cilantro
- For the poached eggs, fill a small skillet two-thirds full of water. Add the white vinegar, bring the water to a boil, and crack in the eggs. Immediately remove from the heat and cover for 7 minutes. If you are taking this to go, use a hard-boiled egg (page 238) instead of a poached egg.
- To assemble, to serving bowls, add the rice, romaine, fennel, and avocado. Season with the olive oil, balsamic vinegar, salt and pepper to taste, and chili. Top with the dukkah and cilantro. Remove the egg from the water with a slotted spoon, draining as much water as possible; place on top of the rice. Toss, allowing the yolk to become part of the dressing, and enjoy. If you are packing this to go, assemble your bowl in a container replacing the poached egg with a peeled hard-boiled egg. Seal and refrigerate until you are ready to take it with you, and keep it refrigerated at work or chilled with a cooler pack until you are ready to eat.
KEEP SLICED AVOCADO FRESH
To keep avocado from browning, concentrate the olive oil and balsamic vinegar on the avocado flesh, and then sprinkle dukkah over top to cover. This assembly trick keeps oxidation to a minimum.
Keywords: california, lunch bowl, avocado, soft egg, healthy, rice bowl, vegetarian bowl, buddha bowl
Excerpted from Modern Lunch: +100 Recipes for Assembling the New Midday Meal by Allison Day. Copyright © 2019 Allison Day. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Absolutely! The no fuss, healthy recipes are easy to make. I love there is more than one way to meal-prep your lunch (which can also easily be used for dinner). There are lots of helpful tips to help you save time too!
Where to Purchase?
Title:Modern Lunch: +100 Recipes For Assembling The New Midday MealFormat:HardcoverDimensions:264 pages, 9.28 × 7.7 × 0.97 inPublished:March 5, 2019Publisher:Appetite by Random HouseLanguage:English
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
ISBN - 10:0147531004
ISBN - 13:9780147531001
From The Official Press Release
From acclaimed cookbook author and award-winning blogger Allison Day comes Modern Lunch, a collection of 100 recipes that celebrate the midday meal.
Modern Lunch is the new lunchtime hero for time-strapped, budget-conscious, and salad-fatigued people everywhere. Focusing on healthy, quick--and, yes, Instagrammable--recipes, Allison takes readers on a feasting journey inspired by fresh flavors and ingredients, her travels, and minimal effort. Meals in jars and adult-appropriate lunchboxes will actually make you look forward to lunch now, especially when recipes like Chicken and Cucumber Ribbon Salad with Peanut Butter Vinaigrette, Tomato Sourdough Soup with Cacio e Pepe Socca Triangles, and Walnut-Crusted Avocado, Feta, and Eggs with Pesto Rice are waiting for you. Find inspiration for delicious lunches to eat at home, too, like Greek Chopped Salad with Crispy Peppercorn Salmon, and a new take on the classic ploughman's lunch. Spend weekends with friends gathered around easy-to-assemble platters and picnic baskets, and enjoy homemade brunches that rival any restaurant's. And, if you're someone who likes to improvise, Allison shares her staple recipes and tried-and-tested strategies for mastering meal prep, as well as ideas and combinations for quick, on-the-fly lunches that encourage creativity but promise satisfaction--even if you have to dine at your desk.
With dazzling recipes and photography, and smart tips on hacking the lunchtime game, Modern Lunch proves that a delicious, exciting, and inventive lunch can be achievable for any appetite, wallet, and busy schedule--and maybe even spark a little office envy.
ABOUT THE AUTHOR
ALLISON DAY is a cookbook author, writer, editor, food stylist, and creator of the Taste Canada award-winning food blog Yummy Beet. Allison's third cookbook, Modern Lunch (Appetite, Penguin Random House Canada) will be released in the spring of 2019. Her first cookbook, Whole Bowls, and single-subject second cookbook, Purely Pumpkin, are both out now. She's contributed to and been featured in The New York Times, Chicago Tribune, Vegetarian Times, Food Network Canada, SHAPE, FLARE, and more. Allison lives in Ontario, Canada and London, United Kingdom
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!