In preparation for the upcoming Chinese Lunar New Year, I made this festive recipe Instant Pot Braised Chinese Mushroom 髮菜炆冬菇食譜. It takes just 20 minutes in the pressure cooker. Serve this on tops of your favourite seasonal green Chinese vegetables like Shanghai Bok Choy, Lettuce or Choy Sum.
- Dried Chinese Mushroom 冬菇 12隻
- Bok Choy 白菜 適量
- 1 tbsp Rock Sugar 冰糖
- 3 tbsp Oyster Sauce 蠔油 (sub for Vegetarian Oyster Sauce for Vegan option)
- 1 tbsp Light Soy Sauce 生抽
- 1 tsp Sesame Oil 麻油 少許
- 2 tsp Corn Starch 生粉 適量
- 50 g Black Moss 髮菜
- 1 C Soaked Mushroom Water 冬菇水 適量
- 3 slicesGinger 薑 適量
- 4 cloves Garlic 4粒
- 3 tbsp Vegetable Oil 油 少許
- Wash and rinse Dried Chinese Mushrooms
- Soak dried Chinese mushrooms overnight
- After soaking the mushrooms, remove from water. Do not discard water.
- Drain soaked mushroom water thru a cheese cloth to remove impurities. Reserve soaked mushroom water for later.
- Stir fry ginger and garlic in Instant Pot (saute mode) for a few minutes.
- Add previously soaked Chinese Mushrooms, 1 cup mushroom water, oyster sauce, sesame oil, light soy sauce, rock sugar.
- Close lid and set to 20 minutes at high pressure and naturally release the pressure.
While waiting for the mushrooms;
- Place the black moss in a bowl, fill it with water and add a drizzle of oil to remove impurities.
- Rinse abs discard water.
- Boil some water in a pot, add in the black moss to quick blanch. Remove and reserve for later.
- Boil some water in a pot. Then, add salt and vegetable oil into the water.
- Blanch Bok Choy, then quickly remove and plate. (Remember don’t over cook.)
After the mushrooms have finished cooking in the Instant Pot, set to sauté mode.
- Add in a slurry of corn starch to thicken the sauce.
- Place previously cooked black moss with the mushrooms (adding small sections at a time). Mix well.
- Scoop the mushrooms and black moss onto the plate of veggies.
- Serve and enjoy!
Black Moss can be purchased at most Chinese herbal stores.
Keywords: Chinese Lunar New Year, Instant Pot Recipes, Braised Chinese Mushroom, 髮菜炆冬菇, 食譜, pressure cooker, Black Moss, Shiitake Mushrooms, Bok Choy, Lettuce