The influence of Portuguese cuisine is strong in the classic Baked Macao Portuguese Chicken Rice dish. As an alternative to chicken thighs we opt for succulent juicy chicken wings. Turmeric is an indispensable seasoning in Portuguese cuisine. It is cooked together with curry, and the flavor is extremely fragrant and irresistible. This is another great served with plain white jasmine rice or baked together with rice!
- 2 lbs chicken wings (wingette)
- 1 russet potato, rough chopped
- 4 sticks carrots, rough chopped
- 1 green pepper (optional), rough chopped
- 1 medium onion
- 5 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 thumb ginger approx 2 inches, minced or grated
- 1 stalk green onions, rough chopped
- 50g parmasen cheese, grated
- 2 teaspoon tumeric powder
- 1/2 teaspoon cumin powder
- 1 can coconut milk (400ml)
- 250ml chicken broth
- dash of salt
- dash of ground white pepper
- 1.5 teaspoon corn starch
- 1 tablespoon vegetable oil
- 1 tablespoon rice wine
- Wash and pat dry chicken wings.
- Marinade for chicken wings with ground pepper, rice wine and a dash of salt for at least 20 mins.
- In a heavy bottomed non-stick Wok or Cast Iron, heat oil over medium-high heat and let it simmer.
- Sautee garlic and onions for a few minutes until softened.
- Add in chicken wings, let brown and flip to other side after 2 mins. Let cook for another 2 minutes.
- Add in potato and carrots, stir evenly.
- Add in cumin powder and tumeric powder. Stir evenly and turn the heat to medium.
- Add in chicken broth, cover wok with lid and let simmer for 10 minutes.
- Add in coconut mlik and let simmer for 2 minutes.
- In a seperate small bowl, dissolve 1.5 teaspoon of corn starch into cold water and add this mixture into your pot and stir evenly. Add more if you prefer your Portuguese Chicken sauce thicker.
- Simmer until desired consistency.
- Serve and enjoy over white jasmine rice or bake on top of fried rice.
Optional Steps: Baked Portuguese Chicken Rice
- Fried rice (pan fry rice and top with beaten eggs).
- Add fried rice to a ceramic baking dish and top with Portuguese Chicken Wings and sauce.
- Add grated parmasen cheese on top.
- Bake at 180 degrees F for 5 mintues or until the cheese has melted and changed to a golden brown colour.
Keywords: Portuguese Chicken Wings, 葡國雞翅, 簡易港式食譜, chinese recipes, portugues chicken, fried rice, homecook, chicken, one pot dinner, 1 pot dinner