It is butternut squash season! Time to whip up lots of healthy and delicious recipes like this Easy Butternut Squash Soup! This nutrient-dense autumn vegetable is an excellent source of fibre, calcium, magnesium and Vitamins A, C, E and B. Just three tablespoons of cooked butternut squash counts as one of your five a day!
- 1 medium butternut squash approximately 3 pounds, peeled and diced
- 2 tbsp olive oil
- 1 yellow onion, chopped
- 1 carrot, chopped (optional)
- 1 red pepper, chopped (optional)
- 5 clovers, garlic, chopped
- 1 thumb ginger, sliced (approximately 2 inches)
- 3 tbsp Organika Veggie Broth (or Organika Chicken Bone Broth, or your choice of stock)
- 3 cups water
- 1 tbsp fresh sage (or dried sage)
- 1/2 tbsp fresh rosemary (or dried rosemary)
- 1/2 tsp celery salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- 1/2 cup cashews, chopped
- 1 bunch cilantro, chopped
- dash of chili pepper flakes
- Choose a medium butternut squash that is approximate 3 pounds. Peeled and dice.
- Chop the onions, shallots, garlic and ginger. If you like, you can also add a carrot or a red pepper too! This will also give the soup a nice orange hue.
- Heat oil in a large pot over medium heat.
- Once hot, add onions, shallots, garlic and ginger and simmer over low-medium heat until onions becomes translucent.
- Add in butternut squash and cook until it softens.
- Season with salt and pepper and herbs.
- Pour in broth and bring to boil and then reduce heat to low. Cover the pot and simmer for 15 minutes or until butternut squash becomes fork tender.
- Remove from heat and transfer to a Vitamix blender or use an immersion blender. Blend on high until creamy and smooth.
- Pour into bowls and garnish with chopped cilantro, chili pepper flakes and chopped cashews!
- Serve and enjoy!
- Fresh vs Dried Herbs – I always prefer to use fresh herbs whenever possible. This goes the same with fresh in season produce vs frozen. Dried sage and rosemary works equally fine.
- Store in refrigerator up to 4 days or up to 1 month in the freezer.
Keywords: butternut squash soup, autumn soup, best butternut squash soup, soup for cold weather, soup recipe, butternut squash recipes, vegan soup recipes, butternut squash health benefits, healthy soup recipes