Quick and easy to make Vegan Dan Dan Noodles 擔擔麵 with no pork. This famous Szechuan style Dan dan noodles is made with Beyond Sausage, Beyond Meat Plant-based meat alternative. Guilty pleasure without the guilt and the pork!
- 2 servings of fresh egg noodles
- 3 springs of green onions, finely chopped
- 250 ml vegetable stock
- 2 tsp of XO chili oil
- 1/2 cup vegetable oil
“Pork” Meat Topping
- 3 Beyond Meat Beyond Sausage (Brat Original), remove case, chopped / minced
- 1/4 tsp white pepper
- 1 tbsp light soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp dark soy sauce
- 1/2 tbsp ginger, minced
- 2 springs of green onions, finely chopped (FCGO)
- 1 cup Preserved Mustard Greens 碎米芽菜
- 2 tbsp fermented black beans (optional), rinsed and chopped
Noodle Sauce Mixture
- 4 tbsp Chinese sesame paste (or unsweetened peanut butter mixed with a few tsp of sesame oil)
- 3 tbsp Rice vinegar
- 4 cloves garlic, minced
- 2 tsp of XO chili oil (do add some even if you can not handle spicy, it will add aroma and umami to the sauce)
- 1 tsp sesame oil
- dash of salt
- 1 tbsp brown sugar
How To Mix The Sauce Properly
- The Chinese sesame paste viscosity is very thick and can be difficult to dissolve into a sauce. Mix a little sesame paste with the liquid ingredients until fully blended. Mix little by little and repeat the process.
- Set aside.
How to Stir Fry the “Pork” Toppings
- Heat vegetable oil over medium heat. Add minced garlic until you hear it sizzling.
- Brown the Beyond Sausage that has been removed from the casing. Cook until the sausage bits are nicely browned.
- Mix in finely chopped green onions (FCGO), preserved mustard greens, fermented black beans, and condiments.
- Meanwhle the “meat” is cooking, boil the noodles per package instructions. Drain and divide into two serving bowls and set aside.
- Boil chicken stock to a boil. Pour about 1/2 cup of vegetable stock (vegan) or chicken stock in the serving bowls.
- Top with “pork” toppings and FCGO.
- Serve immediently and enjoy!
Optional but Highly Recommended:
- Quickly blanch some vegetables like Chinese brocoli (Kai Lan) or baby bok choy in the noodle boiling water and add on top of your noodles or as a side.
- The sauce and the “pork” topping can be made ahead of time (good in the frige up to 3 days).
- Do not get “Hot Italian” or flavoured plant-based meat alternative sausage / minced meat. It will affect the flavour of this dish.
- Do not subsitute Chinese sesame paste with Tahini paste. It tastes very different!
- If you do not have Chinese Sesame Paste, Unsweeted peanut butter mixed with sesame oil will suffice.
Keywords: Vegan Chinese recipes, Dan Dan Noodles, 四川擔擔麵, beyond meat, beyond sausage, meat alternative recipes, plant-based chinese recipes