Okra is one of my favorite vegetables. Okra is a very low calorie vegetables that is packed with rich dietary fibers, minerals, and vitamins (vitamin A, vitamin B, beta-carotene, xanthin and lutein). Each okra pod are also a good source of important minerals such as calcium, iron, manganese and magnesium. I typically like to stir fry okra with garlic. Today, I purchased Samuel Adams Boston Lager at my local BC Liquor Store. A quick search on their website will tell you the nearest BCLDB store. So I decided to show you a quick and easy Samuel Adams Beer Batter Tempura Okra Recipe.
One thing I really like about using beer in my tempura batter compared to cracking an egg, is that the carbonation in beer lightens the batter and makes everything crispier. If you prefer a lighter beer batter, option for a Samuel Adams Rebel IPA version a darker Samuel Adams Boston Lager.
The flavor profile of Samuel Adams Boston Lager compliments well with the Okra. It has a balance of malty sweetness, spiciness of hop and a smooth finish. And it also has a fairly high carbonation. Perfect to lift and brighten the tempura batter mixture. I first discovered Samuel Adams beer at Harvest Haus Vancouver Oktoberfest Festival.
Samuel Adams Beer Batter Tempura Okra Recipe
Easy to make Beer Batter Tempura Okra Recipe with Samuel Adams Beer. PREP 5 mins and READY IN 5 mins
- Prep Time: 5 minutes
- Cook Time: 10 minutes
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 1 Cup 1x
- 3.5 cups flour
- 2 teaspoon kosher salt
- 1 teaspoon onion powder
- 1 teaspoon garlic powder
- 3 cups lager*
- 3 cups canola oil
- lemon wedges (optional)
- *we used Samuel Adams Boston Lager
- In a small mixing bowl add flour, kosher salt, onion powder and garlic powder.
- Stir in 3 cup beer (you can add more or reduce to obtain the texture you desired).
- Coat okra or your choice of vegetable with batter.
- Meanwhile heat canola oil in shallow fry pan or wok.
- Once the oil is heated, flash fried the beer battered okra.
- Allow 5 to 7 mins to cook or until golden brown
- Remove from oil with wooden chopsticks or slotted spoon.
- Set on paper towel to absorb extra oil.
- Sprinkle with salt to taste. Serve with garlic aioli and splash of lemon wedges.
- Serving Size: 1 Cup
Samuel Adams beer batter tempura okra is best served with garlic aioli. Garlic aioli is easy to make also. Simply mix 2 garlic cloves pressed, ¼ teaspoon of kosher salt, ½ cup of mayonnaise, 2 tablespoon olive oil and splash of lemon juice. Mix well and enjoy.
We hope you will enjoy this Samuel Adams beer batter recipe! Please leave us a comment if you would like to see similar recipes on Nomss.
So this recipe seems to be missing how much okra to have on hand for the batter. The ingredients listed above appear to make a large amount of the batter. Just curious.