Make this Sichuan Mala Mouth Water Chicken 四川麻辣口水雞 just like Chinese restaurants, but better! This addictive (literal translated) saliva chicken is mouthwatering, juicy, spicy, sweet and savoury! I love the lingering mala spiciness from my special homemade Fragrant Peppercorn Oil 萬用香料油秘方: the fragrant aromatics and red chilli oil pairs wonderfully with the chilled, tender, juicy chicken.
- Wash and clean the whole chicken.
- Pat dry or air dry.
- Rub salt all over the chicken.
- Stuff the chicken with green scallions and ginger.
- Set steam convection oven at 400F and steam the chicken for 30 minutes.
- Remove the chicken from the oven after it is steam cooked. Rest and let the chicken cool completely. Slice the chicken and place it on your serving plate.
While the chicken is cooking, you can prepare the sauce.
- In a sauce bowl, add Fragrant Peppercorn Oil, red chili oil, finely chopped garlic, steamed fish soy sauce, black vinegar and sugar. Mix well.
- Pour the Mala Chili Oil Soy Sauce over the sliced chicken as much as you want.
- Let the chicken chill and marinate in the refrigerator at least 20 minutes until you are ready to serve it. The flavours develop better over time.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Depending on how spicy your preference is, you can also add bird’s eye chili or more red chili oil. However, I do not suggest making the Sichuan Mala Mouth Water Chicken too spicy because it will overpower the chicken’s delicious natural flavours.
- After the chicken is cooked, opt to remove the neck and head and bottom.
Keywords: Fragrant Peppercorn Oil, 萬用香料油秘方, Sichuan Recipes, Mala Mouth Water Chicken, 四川麻辣口水雞, 四川麻辣, 口水雞, Chinese, Recipes, Chicken