滷牛腱 Braised beef shank is an easy dish to eat as a snack or paired with noodles or green onion pancakes 蔥油餅!
- 2 lbs 牛腱 beef shanks
- 3 slices ginger
- 3 whole star anise
- 1 green onion
- 1 shallot, cut into chunks
- 1 small piece of rock sugar
- 1 L water
- 2 tsp light soy sauce
- 2 tsp oyster sauce
- 1 tbsp corn flour
- 1 tbsp Broad Bean Paste (dou ban jiang)
- 2 Thai chilies (optional)
- 1 packet of Gia Vi Nau Pho (Pho Hoa) Beef Noodle Soup Spices
- 4 tbsp cooking wine
- 4 tbsp cooking oil
- Blanch beef shank in boiling hot water for approximately 5 minutes to remove impurities.
- Rinse under a cold bath.
- Cut the shank in half (depending how long it is to fit into InstantPot).
- Add cooking oil in Instant Pot and press Saute Mode.
- Add garlic, shallots and star anise when Instant Pot displays “hot”.
- Add shank and brown the meat.
- Add in remaining ingredients.
- Cook in Pressure Cooking Mode for 30 minutes.
- Release pressure.
- Place in freezer for 20 minutes or fridge for 1 hour so the meat tightens. This will help to give you nice looking slices later.
- Slice beef shank thinly.
- Set aside; Served alone as snack or with rice or soup noodles.
Keywords: beef shank, 滷牛腱, 蔥油餅, instantpot recipes, taiwanese, chinese