How do you make tasty alkaline salad recipes extra-nourishing and healing to our digestive system? This super alkaline salad is full of colourful vegetables and leafy greens you'd want to make a big batch of. Work this Easy Kale Salad Recipe with Carrots and Purple Cabbage Slaw into your weekly healthy meal prep for weight loss![feast_advanced_jump_to]
There's something about a delicious salad that is worth the extra effort to put together. Perfect alkalizing lunch is one of those. Adding one of our favourite alkaline salad dressing recipes (this Toasted Coconut Lemon Salad Dressing) over healthy green salads is a no-brainer.
What Is Alkaline Diet?
Alkaline foods have a pH higher than 7. Foods on the pH scale between pH 7-14 are alkaline. Foods on the pH scale between 0-6 are considered acidic.
Alkaline means that something has a pH higher than 7. The human body is about 7.4 pH. If the body becomes overly acidic, calcium depletes, weakening bones, osteoporosis, inflammation and kidney disorders.
An Alkaline diet is eating foods with a pH between 7 and 14. Signup and download our FREE List of Alkaline Foods and instantly improve your gut health!
Health Benefits of Alkaline Foods
If you are wondering if it is better to eat acidic or alkaline foods, the answer is an alkaline diet helps improve overall health and maintain optimal health. Adding alkaline recipes into your regular rotation is not hard.
Some of the benefits of an Alkaline Diet include the following:
- Reduces inflammation
- Avoid weight gain
- Eliminate toxins
- Promotes energy
- Improve kidney health
- Inhibits the growth of yeast and bad bacteria
Are Salads Acidic or Alkaline?
Healthy green salads with leafy vegetables have an alkaline effect on the body. Pair it with alkaline dressings for enhanced benefits.
In fact, this delicious and nutritious everyday kale sale with carrots and purple cabbage salad is richly alkaline and high in fibre.
5 Health Benefits of Kale
Kale is considered a superfood and is one of the most nutritious food we can eat. Fresh kale is an excellent source of vitamins and minerals such as Vitamins A, Vitamin C, and Vitamin K. Kale also has nutritional benefits that include:
- Great source of vitamin K, which is absolutely critical for blood clotting
- May prevents cancer
- High in Beta-Carotene to support eye health
- Help Lower Cholesterol
Type of Kale for Raw Kale Salads
Just one cup of chopped kale provides more than your daily recommended vitamins. Give fresh kale some love!
There are 7 varieties of kale:
- Lacinato Kale aka Dinosaur Kale - dark green-bluish coloured slender leaves
- Common Curly Kale - pale to deep green coloured curly kale leaves
- Ornamental aka Salad Savoy - white to pinkish-purple coloured rosette leaves
- Red Russian aka Ragged Jack - bluish-green or purple coloured large overgrown oak leaves
- Chinese Kale aka Chinese Broccoli (Gai Lan) - dark green coloured leaves with a long thick stem
- Siberian Kale - gray-green ruffled leaves native to cold climates
- Redbor Kale - Distant red leaves coloured curly leaves with deep purple veins.
I prefer to use Curly Kale, a common type of kale, in my everyday simple kale salad recipes. And reserve Black Kale, aka Tuscan Kale or Cavolo Nero, for making kale chips or sauteed fresh vegetables for an easy side dish.
Kale is easy to find at the grocery store or Whole Foods Market all year round.
How Do You Make Raw Kale Tender?
Give it a quick massage, so kale is not destined just for juicers. Massaged kale salad becomes tender, mild, and tastes less grassy.
Simply remove the kale leaves from the tough stems, add a generous pinch of salt and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, and massage the kale leaves vigorously to break down the rugged texture.
Ingredients and Substitutes
- Curly Kale or Dinosaur Kale
- Purple Cabbage or green cabbage
- Toasted Coconut and Lemon Salad Dressing
- Extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt (Himalayan salt preferred)
- Minced Cloves Garlic
Optional Toppings and Garnishes
- Pomegranate seeds
- Alfalfa sprouts
- Red onions
- Red Chili Flakes
- Chia seeds
- Sunflower seeds
- Lemon Zest
Note: Avoid adding grated cheese shavings because dairy is high on the Acidic Food Chart and hemp hearts are mildly acidic.
How To Make Homemade Slaw
After giving your kale an intense rubdown, it's time to prepare my favourite homemade slaw with carrots and fresh cabbages.
This coleslaw portion of my favourite kale salad recipe is packed with fresh, lively flavours. Leftover cabbage cole slaw also works well into our weekly meal prep menu!
What is the best cabbage to use? I love using purple cabbages, but feel free to sub in red or green cabbage.
How To Cut Cabbage For Coleslaw
Wash the head of the cabbage and remove bruised outer leaves.
Cut the cabbage head into quarters, then into thin shreds. Feel free to use your box grater or food processor shredding attachment.
Repeat with garden carrots to make the carrot slaw portion.
This can also be meal prepped for any of your simple red cabbage salad recipes.
I also highly recommend investing in a quality salad spinner. Drying your veggies thoroughly is so important after they are washed. It helps prevent watered-down salad dressings, and the salad stays fresher and longer!
Recipe Shortcut: Use Bagged Coleslaw and Kale Mix
Alternatively, you can buy bags of pre-shredded cabbage or coleslaw mix and baby kale at your local supermarket.
The easiest way to prepare this salad is to meal prep ahead of time.
Vegetables can be shredded in advance and stored in the refrigerator in an airtight container for up to 3 days.
The salad dressing can also be made in advance the night before.
Assemble the Best Kale Salad
Let's assemble the delicious kale salad recipe by adding kale, shredded cabbage and carrots to a large bowl.
Our favourite homemade alkaline salad dressing is quick to make and calls for simple ingredients. This creamy, tangy dressing is amazingly tropical!
When ready to mix up your Kale, Chickpeas, Carrot and White Cabbage salad, drizzle the Coconut Milk and Lemon Salad Dressing onto the salad a little at a time.
I recommend adding salad dressing to the serving bowl with just the right amount of salad. Or serve the salad dressing in a small bowl on the side. This way, the salad will not get soggy and will stay fresh and extra crunchy as leftovers in the fridge.
Top your hearty green salad with alfalfa sprouts (did you know you can grow alfalfa sprouts quickly at home?) and chia seeds.
What To Serve With Kale Salad
This superfood salad is packed with nutrients, an excellent clean-out fridge meal, and is easily customized.
Serve this fresh kale salad as a nutritious lunch, or enjoy it for dinner paired with your favourite protein. We love adding these easy Air Fryer salmon, miso-glazed halibut, and lemon pepper chicken wings. These are just a few easy recipes that immediately come to mind as excellent pairings!
I'd love to see how you went with my recipes! Leave a comment below or tag me on Instagram @INSTANOMSS #INSTANOMSS.Print
Carrots, Purple Cabbage, Easy Kale Salad Recipe (Alkaline)
How do you make tasty alkaline salad recipes extra-nourishing and healing to our digestive system? This super alkaline salad is full of colourful vegetables and leafy greens you'd want to make a big batch of. Work this Easy Kale Salad Recipe with Carrots and Purple Cabbage Slaw into your weekly healthy meal prep for weight loss!
- Prep Time: 10
- Cook Time: 5
- Total Time: 15 minutes
- Yield: 4 persons 1x
- Category: Salads
- Method: Mix
- Cuisine: Pacific North West, Canadian
- Diet: Vegan
- 4 Cups Curly Kale, stemmed and leaves removed
- 1 C Carrots, shredded
- 1 C Purple Cabbage, shredded
- ¼ C Chickpeas, drained
- 2 tbsp Toasted Coconut and Lemon Salad Dressing
- 2 tbsp Extra virgin olive oil
- Pinch of salt to taste
- 1 tsp Minced Cloves Garlic
Optional Toppings and Garnishes
Shop the ingredients for this recipe Here.
- Wash and dry vegetables. Remove bruised outer leaves. Spin dry with a good quality salad spinner.
- Remove the kale leaves from the tough stems, add a generous pinch of salt and a drizzle of extra-virgin olive oil, and massage the kale leaves vigorously to break down the rugged texture. Set aside.
- Cut the cabbage head into quarters, then into thin shreds. Feel free to use your box grater or food processor shredding attachment.
- Repeat with garden carrots to make the carrot slaw portion.
- Drain canned chickpeas. Set aside.
- Prepare the homemade alkaline salad dressing.
- When ready to mix up 4 cups Kale, ¼ Cup Chickpeas, and 1 Cup of Carrot and White Cabbage salad, drizzle the Coconut Milk and Lemon Salad Dressing onto the salad a little at a time.
- Top your hearty green salad with alfalfa sprouts (did you know you can grow alfalfa sprouts quickly at home?), chia seeds or some of your favourite things.
- Serve and enjoy with a squeeze of fresh lemon juice in your salad bowl.
- Serving Size: 1 bowl
- Calories: 104
- Sugar: 2.9 g
- Sodium: 657.4 mg
- Fat: 7.6 g
- Carbohydrates: 8.9 g
- Fiber: 2.6 g
- Protein: 2.1 g
- Cholesterol: 0 mg
Keywords: super salad, alkaline diet, kale, purple cabbage, chickpeas, alfalfa sprouts, coconut milk salad dressing, lemon, carrots
Pin the above image to your Vegan Recipe Pinterest Board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
MORE VEGAN RECIPES:
- Super Alkaline Kale Salad
- Double-Steamed Snow Pear with Fritllaria Bulb Recipe 川貝燉雪梨
- Hawthorn Goji Berry Tea 山楂杞子茶
- Air Fryer Salt and Pepper Tofu
- Vegan Okonomiyaki Cauliflower Bites
- Anti-Inflammatory Vegan
- Hojicha Oat Milk Nice Cream (No Churn, Egg Free, Dairy Free)
- No Mayo Apple Vinegar Coleslaw
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!