This dairy-free, vegan-friendly, paleo, low carb, low-sugar, no mayo apple vinegar coleslaw is refreshing and ultra-flavorful and packed high in Vitamin K!
With only 1.5 grams of net carbs per half a cup, cabbage is keto-friendly and is delicious when made into a tangy, crunchy coleslaw salad! For those, who don’t love mayonnaise, this vinegar-based coleslaw is a great source of vegetables that won’t put you out of ketosis. It is far lighter than any you will find store-bought.
5 Impressive Health Benefits of Cabbage
1. Nutrient packed: In just 1 cup, raw cabbage contains
- Calories: 22
- Protein: 1 gram
- Fiber: 2 grams
- Vitamin K: 85% of the RDI
- Vitamin C: 54% of the RDI
- Folate: 10% of the RDI
- Manganese: 7% of the RDI
- Vitamin B6: 6% of the RDI
- Calcium: 4% of the RDI
- Potassium: 4% of the RDI
- Magnesium: 3% of the RDI
2. Reduces Inflammation: Cruciferous vegetables like cabbage contain many different antioxidants
3. Helps Improve Digestion: This crunchy vegetable is full of gut-friendly insoluble fiber by adding bulk to stools and promoting regular bowel movements.
4. Improves cardiovascular health and reduces coronary artery diseases: Red cabbages contain powerful compounds called anthocyanins (plant pigments that belong to the flavonoid family) which gives this vegetable its vibrant purple colour.
5. Excellent Source of Vitamin K: Cabbage is an excellent source of vitamin K1 (critical for blood clotting), with 85% of the RDI in 1 cup (89 grams).
My oldest memory of coleslaw was when my Dad brought home a family bucket of KFC. I remembered it to be thick and creamy. Instead of a rich, creamy high-fat dressing, all you really need is Apple Cider Vinegar (ACV) and Old Fashion Mustard to make this lighter, more refreshing coleslaw!
I love homemade coleslaw for this reason!
It is also dairy-free, vegan-friendly, paleo, low carb, and low-sugar yet it is super flavourful! You can prepare this recipe in as little as 10 minutes!
And the best thing about this no mayo coleslaw recipe? It tastes so much better overnight! So if you are meal prepping, planning a big party, or just want to enjoy a nice crunchy salad throughout the week? THIS ONE’S YOUR HERO!
Although the ACV breaks down the cabbage a bit, the crunch still holds up really well. This salad won’t get all soggy and the vegetables will not be wilted and withered – as you would see in other leafy greens.
5 Apple Cider Vinegar Benefits
Can using Apple Cider Vinegar on the Keto diet help burn more fat and help you lose more weight?
ACV boasts some very powerful anti-glycemic properties when it is consumed with or just before a high-carbohydrate meal. The overall impact of drinking ACV is very small.
- Improve Gut Health: Raw, unpasteurized Apple Cider Vinegar is fermented and contains probiotics to promote good gut bacterias.
- Lowers Blood Sugars: ACV improves insulin sensitivities in high-carb meals by 19-34%; 2 tablespoons of ACV before bedtime can reduce fasting blood sugar in the morning by 4%; therefore, it helps fight diabetes.
- Helps you lose weight: Increases feelings of fullness and increases satiety to help you eat fewer calories.
- Lowers Cholesterol and Improves cardiovascular health: reduces blood triglycerides, cholesterol and blood pressure.
- Protective Effects Against Cancer: some studies show that vinegar consumption helps prevent cancer and shrink tumours.
This dairy-free, vegan friendly, paleo, low carb, low-sugar, no mayo apple vinegar coleslaw is refreshing and ultra-flavorful and packed high in Vitamin K!
- 1 head of red or green cabbage, finely shredded
- 1 large carrot, grated (optional)
- 1/2 red onion, finely sliced
- Wash and finely shred the red or green cabbage, carrots and red onion. Add to large mixing bowl.
- In a small mixing bowl, mix apple cider vinegar, Old Style mustard, maple syrup, olive oil, salt and pepper.
- Add mixed dressing to your large mixing bowl.
- Gentle toss and mix with the vegetables.
- Serve and enjoy.
- Pro Tip: Add half of the dressing slowly and taste. Add more dressing if desired. Adding all the dressing in at once may drown your salad.
- This salad holds well and tastes better one day old!
Keywords: coleslaw recipe, dairy free, paleo recipes, keto-friendly, vinegar coleslaw, apple cider vinegar recipes
Pin the above image to your Dessert Recipe Board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!