Not So Spicy Vegan Mapo Tofu 麻婆豆腐 is a classic Chinese Cantonese dish. It is one of my childhood favourite comfort homecooked dishes. For a healthier take on Mapo Tofu, try Mapo Tofu with mushrooms. This healthy vegetarian recipe is good for anyone looking to have a flavorful vegetarian meal. Either way, you make it you will have a delicious Chinese homey meal that is great served with plain white jasmine rice. This quick and easy recipe is ready in 15 minutes!
- 1/3 cup Vegetable Oil
- 15 Button Mushrooms (or 4 Large king oyster mushrooms), finely chopped
- 1 tablespoon sichuan peppercorn, more if you prefer spicier
- 3 tablespoon ginger, grated
- 6 cloves garlic, minced 蒜
- 1/2 tablespoon black bean sauce with garlic
- 1 cup vegetable broth
- 1.5 teaspoon corn starch
- 400g Tofu (medium or firm works best)
- Drizzle of toasted sesame oil
- 1 stalk of green onions, finely chopped for garnish 蔥
- drizzle of XO chili oil to taste
- In a heavy bottomed non-stick Wok or Cast Iron, heat oil over medium high heat. Let the oil simmer, not smoke.
- Sautee garlic, ginger and onions, stir for 30 seconds.
- Add in mushrooms and cook evenly until golden brown. Stir every 20 seconds so it doesn’t stick to the pan.
- Add in sichuan peppercorns and cook for a minute.
- Add in black bean sauce with garlic. Stir and cook for a minute.
- Add your vegetable broth, stir and bring to a simmer.
- In a seperate small bowl, dissolve 1.5 teaspoon of corn starch into cold water and add this mixture into your pot and stir evenly. Add more if you prefer your mapo tofu thicker.
- Add your tofu and sesame oil and stir gentlely.
- Adjust your spice preference. If you do not find it spicy enough, add a little bit more sichuan peppercorns.
- Serve and enjoy over jasmine white rice!
- Start with less black bean sauce with garlic as it can get quite salty.
- No need to add extra salt.
Keywords: vegan mapo tofu, vegan chinese cuisine, vegetarian chinese recipes, 經典廣東手工菜, classic Chinese Cantonese cuisine, chinese recipes, mushroom recipes, chinese dishes, comfort food