Taiwanese Crispy Salty Peppery Chicken Recipe 鹹酥雞 is actually quite easy to make. If you live in Vancouver or have been to a Taiwanese bubble tea shop then you will know a thing or two about delicious deep fried popcorn chicken nuggets. It is one of my favorite snacks. That extra crispy skin tossed with white pepper and Chinese five spice powder is VERY addictive.
If you had to live off one meat protein what who it be? Would you give up beef, chicken, pork? Lamb or fish? Chicken and fish would be a hard toss up to give up. I love chicken wings too much. But Chinese steamed fish is just classic and less fatty.
Anyways, I thought why not make Baked, not Deep Fried Taiwanese Crispy Salty Peppery Chicken Recipe into chicken wings 鹹酥雞翅!
If you are in a pinch for time, don’t even bother pre-marinated your chicken. All the flavors will come from the season. If you have time, marinate the chicken wings with soy sauce, Chinese Xiao Hsing wine, sugar, garlic.
So how to get the Taiwanese crispy chicken so crispy? The secret ingredient is baking power. Some people like to use sweet potato starch. And a wired rack!
Scope a generous amount of baking powder on a plate. Coat with baking powder (or corn starch). Place chicken on wire rack and bake for 45 to 60 mins. Flipping every 20 to 30 mins if you remember. I usually forget. It doesn’t take away from the experience.
While the wings are turning a crispy golden color in the oven. You can prepare the Taiwanese Crispy Salty Peppery Chicken spice mix seasoning. I like to make a big batch and store it in a jar. So convenient!
Baked, Not Deep Fried Taiwanese Crispy Salty Peppery Chicken Recipe
- 2 tbsp Chinese Xiao Hsing wine
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- Dice chicken thighs to cubes if you are using thighs.
- In a large bowl, mix marinade seasoning together.
- Marinate chicken overnight.
- Pre-heat oven at 450˚F.
- In a bowl or large plate, add 1/4 cup baking powder (or corn starch) and coat the chicken.
- Place the chicken on a wire rack. Place the wire rack on top of cookie sheet with tin foil. This is used to collect the chicken oil and fat.
- Bake the chicken for 45 to 60 mins. Flipping every 20 to 30 mins.
- In a bowl mix the seasoning mix together.
- When the chicken is done baking, coat the chicken wings / diced chicken thighs.
- Rest the chicken for 5 mins before serving.
Pin the above image to your Chinese recipe board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!