Quick and Easy Creamy Avocado Toast with Sardines. An incredibly nutritious umami-packed tasty snack with sources of vitamin B12 and nutrient-dense good fat! Avocado Toast is one of my favourite breakfast sandwiches and mid-day incredibly nutritious fuel-me-up snack! Slice it up. Mash it up. Spread […]
Tag: MSC Marine Stewardship Council
This best-ever salmon patty easy recipe instantly upgrades your canned salmon for a healthy meal packed with Omega 3 and an excellent source of calcium. Kids love this and as a Millennial Mom, I love this quick dinner favourite that comes together in just 5 […]
This post is co-sponsored by the Nobilo Wines and the Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) and I have been compensated monetarily. All views and opinions are my own. Thank you for supporting the brands that keep Nomss in the kitchen!
Try this flavourful Haddock Scallops Fennel Soup recipe next time you’re in the mood for seafood! The mild, sweet taste of MSC certified Haddock combined with the moist and meaty texture of scallops is absolutely delicious when paired with a fresh, crisp glass of Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc! And, when the aroma of onion, fennel and garlic fills the air, it is absolutely magical. We love cooking with local and organic produce, sustainable wild seafood that promises to keep healthy oceans, and wineries that are enthusiastic about growing 100% certified grapes. This Haddock Scallops Fennel Soup recipe is quick to make, and we guarantee you’ll be hooked on these fantastic flavours!
5 Ways To Live More Sustainably?
Living sustainably in our day-to-day lives can be as easy as recycling newspapers and composting food scraps. It is a conscious effort to reduce the use of Earth’s natural resources, your carbon footprint and consumption.
- Eat Locally
- Dispose of disposables – use glass containers instead of single-use plastics
- Save water – conserve household water use
- Buy products that traceable to source
Why Is This Important?
When you support local farmers and brands that follow traceable high standards such as MSC and Nobilo Wines, we elevate everyday meals while making choices that are also good for the planet. Over 90% of the world’s fish stock are either fully fished or over-fished! Yet, over 1/2 Billion people rely on seafood for their income and are the main source of animal protein! So, what’s better than bringing friends and families together to enjoy delicious meals that everyone can feel good about.
About Marine Stewardship Council (MSC)
Marine Stewardship Council (MSC) is an international non-profit that exists to keep healthy oceans and sustainable seafood around for generations to come. Their goal is for people to enjoy seafood as a delicious and healthy source of protein while also allowing future generations to enjoy it as well. With the world’s most recognized program for certified wild, sustainable and traceable seafood, you can look for the MSC Blue Fish Label and know with confidence that your seafood comes from a fishery that meets the highest internationally accepted best practices for sustainable fishing, and that it can be traced from ocean to plate.
Where Can I Purchase MSC Certified Seafood Products?
Look for the MSC Blue Fish Label! MSC Certified products can be found at Loblaws, Real Canadian Superstores, Fortinos, Zehrs, Whole Foods Markets, Costco, Walmart and Sobeys. In terms of commonly found MSC product, this is the order that you’ll most likely find it…
- Cod, haddock, halibut, wild salmon (farmed salmon cannot be MSC certified!), canned tuna, canned mackerel (Gold Seal)
- Scallops, cold water shrimp
- Chilean sea bass, sole
- Lobster (often frozen, only available live at Seafront Fish Market in Toronto).
- Pickerel, yellow perch, orange roughy
- All your favourite types of seafood available in fresh, frozen or canned.
For more information about MSC, visit their website HERE.
About Nobilo Wines
Nobilo Wines is certified by Sustainable Winegrowing New Zealand and some of their efforts include, on-site composting, reducing the use of water at the winery, and minimizing the use of CO2 and replacing with nitrogen to reduce emissions. New Zealand Winegrowers’ Sustainability Policy requires all wine to be made from 100% certified grapes in fully certified winemaking facilities.
Nobilo grows grapes in a wide range of local climatic conditions with pristine landscape was ideal for Sauvignon Blanc with expansive sunlight valleys, rolling hills and mineral rich soils creating a uniquely fresh and crisp flavour profile.
Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc I Marborough, New Zealand:
Aromas of bright lifted tropical fruit and herbs with notes of pineapple, passionfruit, elderflower, cantaloupe and citrus. Energizing and lively acidity perfectly balances the underlying fruit sweetness for a refreshing and crisp generous finish. Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc perfectly pairs with a summer salad and seafood dishes.
Nobilo is an affordable wine that can be found in the New Zealand section at retailers across Canada, including LCBO, Sobeys and Loblaws (Ontario), BC Liquour Stores and private retailers in BC.
For more information on where to purchase Nobilo Wine, visit HERE.
I am so excited to partner with both brands, it truly speaks to my heart on supporting local and sustainability, eating healthy and celebrates food!
Haddock Scallops Fennel Soup
I love making this seafood fennel cioppino soup! It is so easy to make and can be made the night before if you are hosting a dinner party. The soup holds up well over time. This is the perfect comfort soup to stay cozy – even in the summer! The aroma of onion, fennel and garlic along with the sharp, sweet liquorice flavour of fennel pairs wonderfully with meaty MSC Certified scallops and flakey, tender MSC Certified Haddock.
We use Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc to deglaze the pan after the white Miropoix is translucent and bacon is cooked. Remember to scrape off the fat rendered from the bacon. One of the secrets of cooking wine is that wine helps cook and add flavour to fish and to replace the lost moisture.
I like to play off the subtle flavours in the wine and acid can help bring out the natural flavours in mild food, such as fish – ex. fish is often served with a wedge of lemon! Also, when deciding what type of wine you should be used to cook which type of food, the general rule is to pair light-flavoured wine with delicately flavoured ingredients.
Try this flavourful Haddock Scallops Fennel Soup recipe next time you’re in the mood for seafood! The mild, sweet taste of MSC certified Haddock combined with the moist and meaty texture of scallops is absolutely delicious when paired with a fresh, crisp glass of Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc! And, when the aroma of onion, fennel and garlic fills the air, it is absolutely magical.
- 7–8 Scallops MSC Certified
- 4 filets Haddock MSC Certified
- 6–8 Cold Water Shrimp MSC Certified (optional)
- 2 slices of Hickory smoked bacon
- 1 large fennel bulb (cored, cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch long matchsticks)
- 1 cup white onion (chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 2 shallots (chopped)
- 1 ear corn (remove kernels off the cob, frozen corn is ok too)
- 1 cup fish stock
- 1/2 cup white wine (we usedNobilo Sauvignon Blanc)
- pinch of dried chili flakes
- dash of salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic (smashed)
- 1 sprig dill for garnish
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a large sauce pan over medium-high. Add olive oil.
- Once the olive oil is hot, add bacon, white Mirepoix (onions, fennel, celery), shallots and garlic.
- Reduce temperature to low heat, stirring occasionally and cook until fragrant and translucent.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine and scrape of fat rendered from the bacon.
- After the wine has been cooked down (approximately 5 mins), add in fish stock.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil.
- Add MSC Certified Haddock. Cook for 5 minutes until the fish exhibits a flakey consistency.
- Add MSC Certified Cold Water Shrimp (optional.) Cook for 2 minutes.
- Heat a separate non-stick pan over high. Add oil and once you see smoke, place MSC Certified Scallops on pan. Cook the scallops until browned and crusty. Flip the scallops and repeat. It should take no more than approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Divide soup and serve. Arrange the Haddock and Scallops in the centre of each soup plate. Pour hot broth around the fish and scallop.
- Garnish with dill.
- To achieve a clear soup consistency, strain soup using fine mesh strainer.
- For presentation, pour the soup around the nicely arranged fish and scallops
Keywords: HADDOCK SCALLOPS FENNEL SOUP RECIPE, MSC certified, NOBILO WINES, New Zealand Wines, Marine Stewardship Council, Sustainable, Sauvignon Blanc, White Wine, Seafood Soup, cioppino soup
Pin the above image to your Soup Recipe Board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!