The Great Shellfish Cookbook by Matt Dean Pettit lends itself Summer! It reminds you a camping, beach side barbecues and is full of surprises. I personally LOVE eating seafood – fish, lobster, crab, shrimp, and other exotic crustaceans – you name it! This cookbook recently has […]
Eat At Home is a pleasant surprise. This is a recent favourite cookbook of mine. It includes a selection of easy DIY blends, spices, marmalade, sauces in addition to easy recipes for soups, salads, main dishes (like fall off the bone ribs), sides, desserts and […]
I love The Juice Truck. I’ve been one of their biggest fans of Ryan and Zach since the beginning when they first opened. I’ve even done their Juice Cleanse three times. That’s why I am so excited when I was sent a copy of The Juice Truck: A Guide to Juicing, Smoothies, Cleanses and Living a Plant-Based Lifestyle I went crazy at the supermarket buying fruits and vegetables! Now I can make the juices I love from their shop at home! Plus there are other healthy recipes for smoothies, juice cleanses, nut mylk and desserts!
- Intro – How to start a Juice business and the history of juicing
- The Basics – Starter juicing ingredients, tools, pros and cons of juicers, etc.
- The Lifestyle – Ditch the trends, balance, healthy diet
- The Cleanse – Benefits, Steps to a successful cleanse, Superior and Medicinal Foods.
- Recipes – smoothies, smoothie bowls, juices, nut milks, wellness hots, cleanse juices, and food
There are 110 delicious recipes to choose from. They are easy to make. You don’t require fancy equipment. And what I like most about the recipes is that it tells you what health benefits it is for. For example, The Green Smoothie is great for antioxidant, cleansing and hydrating; The Spicy Apple is perfect for anti-inflammatory, digestive aid and antioxidant.
My favourite recipes that I’ve bookmarked include:
- The Banana Beet
- The Super Berry
- The Dragon Fruit Bowl
- The Green Recovery
- Coconut Milk
- The Full Veg
- The Almond Butter Cups
- The Cacao Coconut Bar
- The Super Satisfying Vegan Pho
The first thing I made aside from a kick ass smoothie was the CaCao Coconut Bar. The creamy coconut layers with smooth chocolaty cacao and topped with a little extra coconut was to die for! Who doesn’t like a healthy version of a Bounty Bar? Seriously!
The Cacao Coconut Bar
- Chocolate Sauce
- 3 cups cacao powder 3 cups maple syrup
- 2 cups coconut oil 1 tsp salt
- Coconut Spread
- ½ cup chopped coconut meat
- ½ cup maple syrup or coconut nectar
- ½ cup coconut oil
- 3 cups walnuts
- 2 cups pecans
- ½ cup raisins
- ½ cup shredded dried coconut
- 1 cup finely shredded dried coconut
- Step 1 For the chocolate sauce, place all of the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Step 2 Pour the chocolate sauce into a medium bowl and set aside.
- Step 3 For the base, place the walnuts and pecans in a food processor and pulse until lightly crushed.
- Step 4 Combine all of the base ingredients with the chocolate sauce and mix well.
- Step 5 Spread the base mixture evenly on a baking sheet lined with plastic wrap. Place another layer of plastic wrap on top of the base, and with a rolling pin, roll out the mixture until even from all sides. Refrigerate.
- Step 6 For the coconut spread, place the ingredients in a food processor and blend until smooth.
- Step 7 Take the base out of the fridge and remove the top plastic layer.
- Step 8 Evenly distribute the coconut spread over the base.
- Step 9 For the topping, sprinkle the finely shredded coconut over top and lightly press into place.
- Step 10 Refrigerate for 2 hours or overnight before cutting.
The Super Berry
- ½ cup frozen strawberries
- ½ cup raspberries
- ½ cup blueberries
- 1 Tbsp chia seed
- 1 Tbsp hemp seed
- ¼ tsp raw vanilla powder
- ½ frozen banana
- Step 1 Fill to 500 mL with cashew milk or almond milk
- Step 2 Blend all the ingredients in a blender until smooth and creamy, then serve.
- Step 3 *Add basil or mint to mix things up!
Excerpted from The Juice Truck. Copyright © 2017 Zach Berman and Ryan Slater. Published by Appetite by Random House®, a division of Penguin Random House Canada Limited. Reproduced by arrangement with the Publisher. All rights reserved.
Absolutely! Plenty of healthy recipes to help you jump start your diet. Make juice cleanses at home and tips on how to maintain a balanced yet healthy diet. Recipes can be easily modified to work with kitchen sink ingredients.
Where to Purchase?
The Juice Truck: A Guide To Juicing, Smoothies, Cleanses And Living A Plant-based Lifestyle
Dimensions: 240 pages, 8.8 × 7.2 × 0.6 in
Published: June 6, 2017
Publisher: Appetite by Random House
The following ISBNs are associated with this title:
- ISBN – 10: 0147530016
- ISBN – 13: 9780147530011
From Zach Berman and Ryan Slater–the longtime friends behind Vancouver’s wildly successful Juice Truck–comes an accessible, informative and fresh book on the popular and healthy juicing and cleansing lifestyle.
There are lots of juice books out there, but few get it right. In The Juice Truck, Zach and Ryan make it their mission to make juicing approachable, fun, imaginative and healthy. Their obsession with juicing began when they took a trip to the Himalayas and Nepal, which quickly turned from a journey of self-discovery into a full-blown juice-seeking adventure once they were introduced to the most delicious, locally-sourced juices they had ever tried. They decided then to create the same community and street side accessibility to juice in Vancouver that had inspired them throughout their travels.
Alongside colourful and eye-catching photographs and illustrations that match their company’s brilliant branding, The Juice Truck incorporates advice from health coach Colin Medhurst, and outlines the tools you need to make the perfect juice, the science behind juicing, and the benefits of each specific ingredient. The book dives into the juice cleanse and tells you everything you need to know about this health trend, giving you the top 10 tips to consider before embarking on a cleanse. It debunks other cleanses and outlines which ones are actually good for you and how to cleanse in a safe and proper way. The authors also break down and profile their favourite superior foods, tinctures, supplements and boosters. Once the reader is perfectly equipped, Zach and Ryan provide over 110 mouth-watering drink recipes from nut milks, smoothies, juice and hot drinks, as well as easy-to-make and delicious plant-based food recipes that can be eaten alone or accompany the many drink recipes. Interspersed throughout the recipes are case studies by experts in their fields on subjects like meditation, sleep, yoga, fiber, microbes, food allergies, sensitivities and intolerance, and the nervous system.
In addition to appealing to both loyal and first-time juicers everywhere (as well as the dedicated following of the Juice Truck in Vancouver), this book will be the definitive juicing guide for people who live a healthy, active lifestyle, and those who would like to transition to a healthier diet. This is not your average juice book–it’s a combination of storytelling, nutrition and tried-and-true recipes that deserves a place in every juicer’s kitchen.
Yogurt is one of my daily essentials. Especially Greek yogurt! That’s why I am so excited when I was sent a copy of Yogurt Every Day by Hubert Cormier. Yogurt itself is awesome. It is great for your gut health with its probiotic properties. Yogurt […]
I’ve been following Dana’s blog The Minimalist Baker for quite some time now. I love all the easy, no fuss recipes using 10 ingredients or less, one bowl, or 30 minutes or less to prepare! Recently she came out with a new cookbook: Minimalist Baker’s Everyday […]
Vij’s is a popular Indian Restaurant in Vancouver since 1994. The name Vikram Vij should be no stranger to most Vancouverites. His restaurants won many accolades and he’s even one of the Dragons’ on CBC’s Dragons’ Den.
Have you been to any of Vij’s restaurant?
Vij’s Indian Cookbook features 80 original and inspiring recipes, carefully crafted for both new and experienced home cooks. Meeru and Vikram will show you how to make dishes like their Grilled Squash with Sugar-Roasted Beets and Cumin-Spiced Onions, Chickpea and Sprouted Lentil Cakes, Vegetable Koftes with Creamy Tomato Curry, Green and Black Cardamom Cream Chicken Curry, Mildly Curried Beef Short Ribs and Lamb Popsicles with Garlic and Ricotta-Fenugreek Topping.
It’s for everyone who wants to cook modern Indian cuisine, and Meeru and Vikram are with you every step of the way. They’ve included pairing suggestions for recipes, so you’ll have lots of ideas and options to keep your Indian cooking dynamic. Assorted Mushrooms and Winter Squash Curry paired with Brown Rice and Yellow Channa Daal Pilaf or Clay Pot Saffron Chicken and Rice paired with Sprouted Lentil, Bell Pepper and Carrot Salad—the combinations are endless!
Complete with all the basics on Indian spices, essential Indian staple ingredients, expert tips and suggested wine pairings, Vij’s Indian is a beautiful new collection of recipes.
Available now $28
Published by Penguin Random House
Paperback, 248 pages
Day 9 – Win one Vij’s Indian Cookbook by Vikram Vij and Meeru Dhalwala (valued $28)
To enter this amazing giveaway, you must be Canadian resident (13+ years of age). Complete the following. Your chances increases the more items you complete and the more social media platforms you follow. Good Luck! DEADLINE: Dec 12th, 2016 11:59pm PST
Sundays are best for rolling around in bed, going to church and for baking sweet treats with a glass of milk with ice cubes! Even better if the milk itself is grass fed and hormone free too! To be honest, I don’t have much of a sweet […]
We love HGTV, Food Network and Netflix at the Lui household. And if you are like us, chances are you’ve baked with Anna Olson a handful of times. How could anyone resists baking classic chocolate chip cookies or citrus Madeleines?! Citrus Madeleines by Anna Olson […]
It’s getting festive here! To celebrate we are hosting 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway! Each day there will be an INCREDIBLE giveaway between December 7th to 18th. We will be announcing a NEW prizeseach day! Yup! That’s right – there are at least 12 prizes in total! And YOU don’t want to miss a day!
For Day 8 of 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway we giving away two cookbooks that we have shortlisted for Our Favorite Cookbooks of 2015. It is two incredibly beautiful cookbooks that should be part of your cookbook collection!
Both Nopi and Simply Nigella are published by Appetite by Random House. Appetite by Random House is the boutique lifestyle imprint of Random House of Canada, based in Vancouver on Canada’s west coast. Appetite publishes across a range of subjects, marrying books of regional, national, and international flavour in one unified lifestyle list. Whether it’s food, wine, health, or design, Appetite by Random House publishes books to celebrate and satisfy your appetite for life!
Nopi: The Cookbook by Yotam Ottolenghi, Ramael Scully $45
A cookbook from acclaimed London restaurant Nopi, by powerhouse author Yotam Ottolenghi and Nopi head chef Ramael Scully.
Pandan leaves meet pomegranate seeds, star anise meets sumac, and miso meets molasses in this collection of 120 new recipes from Yotam Ottolenghi’s restaurant. In collaboration with Nopi’s head chef Ramael Scully, Yotam’s journey from the Middle East to the Far East is one of big and bold flavors, with surprising twists along the way.
For the person who: makes vegetarian cool!
Simply Nigella: Feel Good Food by Nigella Lawson $45
Whatever the occasion, food–in the making and the eating–should always be pleasurable. Simply Nigella taps into the rhythms of our cooking lives, with recipes that are uncomplicated, relaxed, and yet always satisfying.
From quick and calm workday dinners (Miso Salmon, Cauliflower & Cashew Nut Curry) to stress-free ideas when feeding a crowd (Chicken Traybake with Bitter Orange & Fennel), to the instant joy of bowlfood for cozy nights on the sofa (Thai Noodles with Cinnamon and Shrimp), here is food guaranteed to make everyone feel good.
Whether you need to create some breathing space at the end of a long week (Beef Chili with Black Beans), indulge in a sweet treat (Lemon Pavlova, Chocolate Chip Cookie Dough Pots), or wake up to a strength-giving breakfast (Toasty Olive Oil Granola), Nigella’s new cookbook is filled with recipes destined to become firm favorites. Simply Nigella is the perfect antidote to our busy lives: a calm and glad celebration of food to soothe and uplift.
For the person who: loves yoga and balance of life’s pleasures
Day 8 – NOPI & Simply Nigella Cookbooks | 12 Days of Christmas Giveaway!
What are some of your favorite cookbooks?
Move over Christmas! It’s now time to talk LOVE. Are you struggling to find the perfect Valentine’s Day gift for the Foodie in your life? This Valentine’s Day, skip the roses and chocolates and gift something they will love! Something they can enjoy using over and over… Something they will remember it for years to come how thoughtful and considerate you were! Actually, guys please still get the flowers for your lady! She deserves it!
Valentine’s Day Gift for Foodie
from left to right
- KitchenAid Artisan 5-Quart Stand Mixer in Tiffany Blue – are a great way to host any major family gathering or cooking event. Besides the KitchenAid Artisan Standmixer looks sexy on any counter top!
- The Professional Chef – The Culinary Institute of America (CIA) cookbook is the perfect technical guide for your Foodie to perfect their skills. This cookbook is the classic kitchen reference that many of America’s top chefs have used to understand basic skills and standards for quality.
- Modernist Cuisine by Nathan Myhrvold – talks about innovative techniques of the best chefs in the world.
- Nike+ Fuelband SE – Track how much, how often and how intensely you move with the Nike+ Fuelband. Set goals and stay active by setting goals and challenging your SO.
- Shun DM0706 8-Inch Classic Chef’s Knife – Is our favorite kitchen knife! Definitely a must get for any aspiring master chef!
- Vega One All-In-One Nutritional Shakes – Natural plant-based supplement that is GMO-free and complete with healthy nutrition.
- The Juice Truck Juice Cleanse – Over eaten? Fear not, detox with some healthy ingredients and let mother nature do her thing.
- Breville JE98XL Two-Speed Juice Fountain Plus – Want to make your own healthy juice cleanse concoction? This home juicer makes life a lot easier!
- Nike Flyknit Lunar1 + – Exercise helps couples bond! Motivate each other and go for a run! Couples that exercise together, stay together!
- Heart Bottle Opener – This Tiffany inspired bottle opener is super cute!
- BKR Water Bottles – H20, drink more of it! Supermodels swear by it and it makes your skin glow. Tasty without the toxic chemical found in plastic BPA bottles.
What would you get for your Foodie? Let us know! We love to hear from you!
We were recently sent a few Southern cookbooks from the good folks at OMG Publicity. This was one of the books, the other was In a Snap!: Tasty Southern Recipes You Can Make in 5, 10, 15, or 30 Minutes by Tammy Algood where we featured the Red Pepper Cheese […]
We were recently sent a few Southern cookbooks from the good folks at OMG Publicity. In a Snap!: Tasty Southern Recipes You Can Make in 5, 10, 15, or 30 Minutes by Tammy Algood author of Farm Fresh Southern Cooking. I love the fact that it […]