I guess it’s fair to say that I have an obsession with chicken wings as like someone would over fried chicken. There’s this hole-in-the-wall restaurant in Vancouver that has been serving up some serious crack chicken wings for the past couple decades. Phnom Penh 金邊小館 is […]
As the weather gets colder, I crave hearty, stew like dishes. Chicken Cacciatore is the perfect rustic poultry-vegetable ‘hunter’s stew.’ Making chicken cacciatore is super easy and it pairs great with rice, grains or pasta. And I love that it is filled with lots of […]
Taiwanese Crispy Salty Peppery Chicken Recipe 鹹酥雞 is actually quite easy to make. If you live in Vancouver or have been to a Taiwanese bubble tea shop then you will know a thing or two about delicious deep fried popcorn chicken nuggets. It is one of my favorite snacks. That extra crispy skin tossed with white pepper and Chinese five spice powder is VERY addictive.
If you had to live off one meat protein what who it be? Would you give up beef, chicken, pork? Lamb or fish? Chicken and fish would be a hard toss up to give up. I love chicken wings too much. But Chinese steamed fish is just classic and less fatty.
Anyways, I thought why not make Baked, not Deep Fried Taiwanese Crispy Salty Peppery Chicken Recipe into chicken wings 鹹酥雞翅!
If you are in a pinch for time, don’t even bother pre-marinated your chicken. All the flavors will come from the season. If you have time, marinate the chicken wings with soy sauce, Chinese Xiao Hsing wine, sugar, garlic.
So how to get the Taiwanese crispy chicken so crispy? The secret ingredient is baking power. Some people like to use sweet potato starch. And a wired rack!
Scope a generous amount of baking powder on a plate. Coat with baking powder (or corn starch). Place chicken on wire rack and bake for 45 to 60 mins. Flipping every 20 to 30 mins if you remember. I usually forget. It doesn’t take away from the experience.
While the wings are turning a crispy golden color in the oven. You can prepare the Taiwanese Crispy Salty Peppery Chicken spice mix seasoning. I like to make a big batch and store it in a jar. So convenient!
Baked, Not Deep Fried Taiwanese Crispy Salty Peppery Chicken Recipe
- 4 boneless chicken thighs or 1 lbs chicken wings
- 1/4 cup baking powder or corn starch
- 2 tbsp Chinese Xiao Hsing wine
- 2 tbsp sugar
- 1 tbsp minced garlic
- 1 tbsp garlic powder
- 2 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp Five Spice powder
- 1/2 tsp cinnamon
- 1/2 tsp white pepper
- 1/2 tsp curry powder
- Dice chicken thighs to cubes if you are using thighs.
- In a large bowl, mix marinade seasoning together.
- Marinate chicken overnight.
- Pre-heat oven at 450˚F.
- In a bowl or large plate, add 1/4 cup baking powder (or corn starch) and coat the chicken.
- Place the chicken on a wire rack. Place the wire rack on top of cookie sheet with tin foil. This is used to collect the chicken oil and fat.
- Bake the chicken for 45 to 60 mins. Flipping every 20 to 30 mins.
- In a bowl mix the seasoning mix together.
- When the chicken is done baking, coat the chicken wings / diced chicken thighs.
- Rest the chicken for 5 mins before serving.
Pin the above image to your Chinese recipe board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
Summer time means a lot of time spent on the patio and outdoors. It is perfect for barbecuing and relaxing. Ricardo Cuisine invited us to test out some of their chicken recipes. We decided to try the Ricardo Butterflied Chicken with Chimichurri Sauce Recipe. Even though […]
Thanksgiving is a joyous time to be spent with family and friends but it is not always easy to whip up a 10 course meal featuring a turkey, stuffing, side dishes, desserts and everything else in between. Sometimes Thanksgiving feast scares me with the abundance of turkey leftovers that carry onto turkey sandwiches, turkey congee, turkey stir-fry, etc. This year with my parents away on vacation, Dave and I decided to keep things simple. We decided to roast a beer can chicken seasoned lightly with Herbes de Provence Roasted Chicken and just some broccoli to keep it a low carb, high protein, and high fiber diet. There is no reason why the holidays should compromise Wedding diet plan.
We were sent a few packages of Club House new Gluten-Free gravy mixes in;
- Club House Gluten-Free Brown Gravy Mix
- Club House Gluten-Free Gravy Mix for Turkey
Secret Simplifier Method:
All You Do
1. Take meat drippings and add water to equal 1 cup (250 mL). Any little amount of drippings will do,
but the more the better.
2. Combine Club House gravy mix, drippings and water mixture in a saucepan.
3. Cook over medium heat
I like how there is now a gluten-free option at only 20 calories per serving (1/4 package or 80 calories in total). Like the book Wheat Belly by William Davis, MD says “Lose the Wheat Lose the Weight” – of course that is not to say to replace the wheat with other sugary foods ex. donuts. I liked how Club House gravy mix was easy to make and literally takes seconds to make. If you are pressed for time and can not operate a saucepan, you can simply boil some pipping hot water and mix the gravy mix in a bowl thoroughly.
The New Club House Gluten-Free Gravy Mix Products features
- Simple to personalize and easy to use
- 25% less salt than the original Club House gravies
- No artificial colours or flavours
- No Trans Fat
- Carries the Canadian Celiac Association
- Gluten-Free Certification program trademark
To be honest, we found the mix to be a tad too salty at 260mg of sodium – Brown gravy more than the turkey mix. We only mixed with hot water instead of meat drippings. There was a nice consistency to the mixture which wasn’t too watery or thin. It would probably go really nicely with some mash potatoes or even rice.
The recipe for the roasted beer can chicken:
|1/2 package||Herbes de Provence Roasted Chicken|
|dash||Grounded Black Pepper|
|1 Can||Light flavoured beer – we used Pabst Blue Ribbon|
|4||Green Onions, sliced|
|4||Onions, cut in half|
|1||Chicken (approx 2 lbs)|
|1||stainless beer can chicken roaster|
- Preheat oven at 350 F
- Mix in seasoning and herbs in the baking dish. Set aside.
- Pour in 1/2 can of beer into bottom of the baking dish also. Place the beer can in the center.
- Wash and rinse the chicken in cold water, pat dry. Fit the whole chicken over the open beer can with the legs on the bottom. Cut small slits on each side and press the tip of each wing into the slit to encourage even cooking.
- Rub seasoning over entire chicken. Layer onions and green onions over chicken and also inside the cavity.
- Bake chicken for 45 mins. Pour remaining beer if it appears to be drying. Bake another 30 mins or until no longer pink at the bone. Juices should run clear.
- Allow the chicken to rest for at least 1o mins.
This sponsorship is brought to you by The Gluten Free Agency whom we have partnered with for this promotion.