Here’s a fresh take on the made on the fly by Hollywood restaurateur Bob Cobb back in 1937. Crispy bacon, hard-boiled eggs, tomatoes, large shrimp and seared sea scallops – all the original appeal and an extra special presentation!
How To Make the Best Classic Cobb Salad
What makes a great Cobb salad? The classic Cobb salad is very simple to make. All you need is a few fresh ingredients and a kickass vinaigrette! You can make a kitchen sink version with leftover meal prep or you can make a lavish one with awesome layers – like seafood! It’s all about the layers!
How to Cook Scallops:
Scallops are easy to prepare. Simply defrost scallops before cooking. Heat 1 tablespoon of oil in a non-stick pan over medium heat. Season the scallops with salt and pepper and cook them for 2 minutes or until golden brown. Remove from heat and allow scallops to rest in the pan for 1 minute.
Layering Your Cobb Salad
I love Cobb salads because of the abundance of fresh ingredients and a variety of veggies! Hearts of romaine, avocados, tomatoes, cucumbers, iceberg lettuce, basically anything you fancy could work in this chopped salad.
Then, you’ve got your hard-boil eggs, crispy bacon and the dressing! Yes, the classic Cobb Salad calls for a red wine vinaigrette, however, it doesn’t quite go with seafood so I made a dill vinaigrette. It brightens and highlights all the flavours together!
Usually, a Cobb salad calls for cooked chicken, but in this case, we are using large shrimp and sea scallops! I ordered my wild-caught Canadian sea scallops from shop.clearwater.ca and they are super fresh and huge! Use my promo code “INSTANOMSS” for 10% off your purchase!
USE MY DISCOUNT CODE “INSTANOMSS” FOR 10% OFF YOUR SHOP.CLEARWATER.CA PURCHASE!Print
What Makes This the Best Cobb Salad? Here’s a fresh take on the made on the fly by Hollywood restaurateur Bob Cobb back in 1937. Crispy bacon, hard boiled eggs, tomatoes, and seafood! Large shrimp and seared sea scallops – all the original appeal and an extra special presentation!
- 1/2 cup extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons rice wine vinegar
- 1 tablespoon dill
- 1 egg yolk
- 2 garlic clove, smashed
- 1/2 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
- dash of salt to taste
Seafood Cobb Salad
- 10 Sea Scallops, cooked and seared (Use my discount code “INSTANOMSS” for 10% off your shop.clearwater.ca purchase)
- 10 Large shrimp, cooked
- 3 large heads of Romaine lettuce hearts, chopped
- 4 ounces cherry tomatoes, halved
- 6 slices bacon, cooked until crispy and chopped
- 4 large eggs, hard boiled, peeled and quartered
- 1 large avocado, diced (optional)
- 1 medium cucumber, thinly sliced (optional)
- 75 grams of blue cheese crumble (optional)
- Make the dill vinaigrette by whisking all the ingredients together in a bowl. Set aside.
- Wash the romaine lettuce hearts and dry well. A salad spinner dries very well.
- Add romaine lettuce hearts to a large salad bowl.
- Add remaining ingredients (large shrimp, sea scallops, cucumber, avocado, tomatoes, bacon, blue cheese crumble) on top of the romaine lettuce hearts.
- Toss the salad with kitchen tongs.
- Drizzle dill vinaigrette on top of the salad to your desired taste. Taste and add more dressing as needed.
- Dill vinaigrette can be made in advance and kept refrigerated. Re-whisk before use.
- The undressed salad can be made more than 1 day in advance without the avocado. Add avocado, cooked large shrimp and sea scallops just before serving.
- You can arrange your salad in a pattern or pile the ingredients on top of each other, just remember the salad should be tossed before serving!
Keywords: seafood salad, seafood cobb salad, classic cobb salad, how to make the best cobb salad, what makes a good cobb salad, seared scallops, large shrimp, how to cook scallops
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE SEE HOW YOU WENT WITH MY RECIPES! LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW OR TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM @INSTANOMSS #INSTANOMSS
PIN THE ABOVE IMAGE TO YOUR SALAD FOOD RECIPE BOARD TO BOOKMARK THIS PAGE. WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE OUR RECIPES WITH YOU!
MORE SEAFOOD RECIPES:
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!