Today we went to Oysi Oysi Japanese Restaurant to learn how to make sushi with Experiences by SocialShopper. The experience is to Learn the Art of Sushi Making & Create Gourmet Rolls with Dungeness Crab Plus Sake Tasting is for 1 or 2 people. Lots of couples came for a great date night!
If you are a fan of the movie Jiro Dreams of Sushi and want to fulfill your wildest sushi chef dreams, this would be a great experience to learn the basics. Today’s sushi making class we learned how to make Salmon Carpaccio, Dynamite Roll, and a Real Crab California Roll with a dungeness crab. Each person is given a sushi rolling mat to use and to keep.
In addition, each course is served with a sake taster : Premium Ginjo Sake, Nama Organic Sake, and Nigori Silky Mild Sake (unfiltered).
Salmon Carpaccio: The Chef gave us salmon sashimi and a peppercorn tuna. Garnishes of onions, Japanese sprouts, cucumbers and red peppers. We were shown how to roll the sashimi and dipped in ponzu vinaigrette.
Easy to make Japanese Salmon Carpaccio Recipe with ponzu sauce.
- 250g salmon sashimi grade fillet, skin and bones removed
- 2 teaspoons salted baby capers, rinsed
- Baby rocket leaves,
- Japanese sprouts
- Julienne cucumbers
- Julienne red pepper
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 teaspoon soy sauce
- 1.5 teaspoons freshly squeezed lemon juice
- Dash of salt and black pepper
- Mix ingredients for the sauce in a small bowl.
- Thinly slice salmon sashimi and place on a dish.
- Pour the sauce over it
Dynamite Roll: Chef showed us how to spread the rice on the seaweed evenly. Remember not to put too much ingredients inside the roll otherwise it would be hard to seal it.Print
- 1 Nori Sheet
- 1/2 cup Sushi Rice
- 1 prawn tempura
- 1/4 avocado
- Julienne cucumber
- mayonnaise as desired
- 2 tablespoons tobiko (fish roe)
- Take the sheet of nori seaweed and put it shiny side down
- Damp hand with vinegared water to prevent sushi rice from sticking to your hands.
- Gently pat and spread sushi rice on an even layer on the seaweed.
- Flip over so that the rice is facing the sushi rolling mat.
- Add avocado, mayo, tobiko, prawn tempura.
- Roll the sushi using the bamboo sushi rolling mat.
- Cut the dynamite roll into eights.
Next we took apart the previously cooked and chilled dungeness crab. The real crab meat are used to make a California Roll. We were also given ponzu soy sauce if we chose to eat our crab meat.
Coffee Jelly: dessert as we concluded our class.
It was a really fun experience and I know I will never become a sushi chef. Next time I will just go to a Japanese restaurant and let the pros do the hard work!
There are only a few spots left to Learn the Art of Sushi Making & Create Gourmet Rolls with Dungeness Crab Plus Sake Tasting. Grab a spot in the class before it’s full!
Not yet a SocialShopper member? Join Now.
Oysi Oysi Japanese Restaurant
Cuisine: Japanese, Sushi
Mon – Fri: 11:00 am – 10:00 pm
Sat: 4:00 pm – 10:00 pm
Sun: 3:30 pm – 9:30 pm
1136 Alberni St, Vancouver, BC V6E 1A5