This delicious recipe blends familiar flavours like cumin, peppercorn and cinnamon with exotic spices like star anise and ancho chillies. Celebrate Cinco de Mayo by serving this traditional Mexican dish!
- 20 fresh corn tortilla shells
- 4 lime wedges
- 20 pieces shaved radish
- Chopped cilantro leaves
- Cooked and shredded lamb
- Pico de gallo
Adobo Seasoning Paste:
- 1 dry chipotle
- 2 pieces guajillo peppers
- 2 pieces ancho chilli peppers
- 1/3 of a white onion
- 10 garlic cloves
- 2 cloves
- 1-star anise
- 1/3 teaspoon cumin seeds
- 1/2 cup cider vinegar
- 1/2 teaspoon black peppercorn
- 1 inch piece of a cinnamon stick
- 3 lbs boneless lamb shoulder
- Banana leaves
- Butchers Twine
- 70 ml of Adobo
- A generous amount of kosher salt
Pico de gallo
- 2 whole Roma tomatoes, diced
- 1/3 of a medium red onion, diced
- Cilantro, chopped
- 1/3 of a lime’s juice
- Lime zest
- Pinch of kosher salt
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- Cracked black pepper
Adobo Seasoning Paste
- Toast dry chillies over a grill on low heat for 1 minute.
- Soak the chillies in hot water for 20 minutes to soften.
- Remove the chillies from the water and remove all the seeds.
- Grill the onion and garlic on medium heat until slightly blistered.
- In a dry saucepan, gently toast the cumin, cloves, star anise, peppercorn and cinnamon stick over a gentle heat for 3 minutes, gently moving the pan around the stove to agitate the spices.
- Blend all ingredients together until smooth in a high-speed blender and set aside.
- Preheat oven to 325˚F.
- Wipe the wax off the banana leaves with a damp cloth.
- Overlap the banana leaves, at least 2 layers.
- Season the lamb with a generous amount of salt.
- Spread the adobo paste on the lamb until fully covered.
- Wrap the banana leaves around the lamb to form a tight parcel and tie with butcher’s twine.
- Add 2 cups of water to the bottom of your HA1 Hard Anodized Nonstick Roaster and put in the roasting rack.
- Place lamb parcel on the rack, cover with a lid.
- Cook for 4 hours, checking after 3 hours – the meat should be fork tender.
- Add more water if needed and cook further until desired tenderness.
- Let rest for 30 minutes.
- Combine the lamb with the liquid from the bottom of the roaster in a bowl and shred the lamb into small pieces with a fork.
- Adjust seasoning, adding in more adobo if desired.
Pico de gallo
- Combine all ingredients in a bowl.
- Grill tortilla shells spraying with water from a spray bottle to steam the tortilla.
- Place 1 large tablespoon of lamb on the tortilla and garnish with pico de gallo, shaved radishes and cilantro. Put lime wedge on the side.