I’ve spent so much money buying alfalfa sprouts from the grocery stores without realizing how easy it is to grow alfalfa sprouts at home! Growing radish sprouts at home is just as easy! All you need are some alfalfa or radish seeds, a mason jar and a cheesecloth!
During this time, we spent more at home, we’ve started growing our food in our little backyard garden and cooking more. We’ve limited our trips to the grocery store with high-quality contactless food deliveries.
Each little package of store bought alfalfa sprouts costs around C$5 – it is really, really expensive!
Sprouting your own seeds at home is very simple and economical! It is not complicated at all!
In fact, half pound bag of organic alfalfa sprouting seeds only costs around C$18 to $20 and all you need for each use is around 2 tablespoon of alfalfa sprouting seeds or organic radish sprouting seeds!
This is much more economical and tastes just as delicious! Now I know exactly what I put in growing my sprouts – organic sprouting seeds and water! That’s it! No pesticides or harmful chemicals!
Health Benefits of Alfalfa Sprouts
- lower cholesterol and blood sugar control
- high content of antioxidants
- vitamins C and K, copper, folate and magnesium
- aids digestion and bowel movements
How to Grow Organic Sprouts at Home
Growing organic sprouting seeds at home is easy. Alfalfa seeds is one of the fastest and easiest seeds to sprout. If you are a first-timer, I would recommend you start with alfalfa seeds or radish seeds. Of course, you can try other seeds like organic spring mix, broccoli, clover, mustard seeds, etc.
Different seeds tastes differently and has different nutritional benefits! I have few bags of different sprouting seeds that I like to mix my own sprouts blend.
You don’t need fancy equipment to sprouts at home. You can grow sprouts with just a large mason glass jar, cheesecloth and an elastic band. Personally, I prefer to use a wide mouth mason jar sprouting lid. You can also use a tiered seed sprouter tray like this one if you want to get real serious! However, growing great sprouts only requires just a mason jar!
How to Soak & Sprout Nuts, Seeds, Grains, & Beans
Soaking and sprouting is very easy. The method also applies to nuts, seeds, grains and beans – the only difference is the time required for full germination changes.
Soak your seeds overnight for best results. It makes the sprouting process much quicker!
Add a pinch of sea salt (approximately 1/2 tsp) will help to prevent harmful bacteria from growing on the sprouts!
Always consume sprouts within a few days. Keep them fresh and stored the fridge. Sprouts can be subject to contamination and bacterial growth such as E.coli. If you see any signs of rot, quickly discard and do not ingest!
DID YOU MAKE THIS RECIPE? I’D LOVE SEE HOW YOU WENT WITH MY RECIPES! LEAVE A COMMENT BELOW OR TAG ME ON INSTAGRAM @INSTANOMSS #INSTANOMSSPrint
- 2 tbsp alfalfa sprouting seeds
- sea salt
- Place the alfalfa sprouting seeds in a large mason jar, a pinch of sea salt and cover with 250ml of water.
- Cover the glass jar with a piece of cheesecloth and secure it with an elastic band or use a wide mouth mason jar sprouting lid. Let soak overnight on the countertop.
Every morning and night for about 4 to 5 days
- Drain the water thoroughly out of the mason jar directly thru the cheesecloth or sprouting lid.
- Add about 500ml of fresh water into the jar again and swirl it around.
- Tilt the mason jar and drain the water out as much as possible.
- Leave the mason jar on its side and spread the seeds out as much as possible on the insider surface of the jar.
- Repeat this process every morning and night for the next 4 to 5 days until the sprouts are around 5cm in length.
- Remove the sprouts from the jar and rise thoroughly.
- Store in a sealed container in the refrigerator up to 4 days.
- sea salt will help to prevent harmful bacteria from growing on the sprouts
Keywords: how to grow alfalfa sprouts at home, how to sprout seeds at home, sprouting radish seeds at home, raw, vegan, healthy, gluten-free, soak and sprout seeds, sprouts salad, sprouts sandwich, raw living, healthy living, sprouts seed kit, seed sprouter, sprouting seeds
PIN THE ABOVE IMAGE TO YOUR QUICK PANTRY MEALS RECIPE BOARD TO BOOKMARK THIS PAGE. WE ARE SO EXCITED TO SHARE OUR RECIPES WITH YOU!
MORE VEGAN RECIPES:
- KIMCHI CAULIFLOWER FRIED RICE
- VEGAN-ISH OKONOMIYAKI CAULIFLOWER BITES
- ANTI-INFLAMMATORY VEGAN SOUP
- ACTIFRY BRUSSEL SPROUTS WITH GARLIC CHILI
- BLUEBERRY LEMON ZEST COCONUT MILK ICE CREAM
- KETO FRIENDLY BLUEBERRY SMOOTHIE
- HOMEMADE POPPYSEED DRESSING
- CRANBERRY FRISEE SALAD
- HOJICHA OAT MILK ICE CREAM (NO CHURN, EGG FREE, DAIRY FREE)
- NO MAYO APPLE VINEGAR COLESLAW
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!