Try this flavourful Haddock Scallops Fennel Soup recipe next time you’re in the mood for seafood! The mild, sweet taste of MSC certified Haddock combined with the moist and meaty texture of scallops is absolutely delicious when paired with a fresh, crisp glass of Nobilo Sauvignon Blanc! And, when the aroma of onion, fennel and garlic fills the air, it is absolutely magical.
- 7–8 Scallops MSC Certified
- 4 filets Haddock MSC Certified
- 6–8 Cold Water Shrimp MSC Certified (optional)
- 2 slices of Hickory smoked bacon
- 1 large fennel bulb (cored, cut lengthwise into 1/2 inch long matchsticks)
- 1 cup white onion (chopped)
- 1 stalk celery (chopped)
- 2 shallots (chopped)
- 1 ear corn (remove kernels off the cob, frozen corn is ok too)
- 1 cup fish stock
- 1/2 cup white wine (we usedNobilo Sauvignon Blanc)
- pinch of dried chili flakes
- dash of salt and pepper to taste
- 2 cloves garlic (smashed)
- 1 sprig dill for garnish
- 1 tbsp extra virgin olive oil
- Heat a large sauce pan over medium-high. Add olive oil.
- Once the olive oil is hot, add bacon, white Mirepoix (onions, fennel, celery), shallots and garlic.
- Reduce temperature to low heat, stirring occasionally and cook until fragrant and translucent.
- Deglaze the pan with white wine and scrape of fat rendered from the bacon.
- After the wine has been cooked down (approximately 5 mins), add in fish stock.
- Cover the pan and bring to a boil.
- Add MSC Certified Haddock. Cook for 5 minutes until the fish exhibits a flakey consistency.
- Add MSC Certified Cold Water Shrimp (optional.) Cook for 2 minutes.
- Heat a separate non-stick pan over high. Add oil and once you see smoke, place MSC Certified Scallops on pan. Cook the scallops until browned and crusty. Flip the scallops and repeat. It should take no more than approximately 1-2 minutes.
- Divide soup and serve. Arrange the Haddock and Scallops in the centre of each soup plate. Pour hot broth around the fish and scallop.
- Garnish with dill.
- To achieve a clear soup consistency, strain soup using fine mesh strainer.
- For presentation, pour the soup around the nicely arranged fish and scallops
Keywords: HADDOCK SCALLOPS FENNEL SOUP RECIPE, MSC certified, NOBILO WINES, New Zealand Wines, Marine Stewardship Council, Sustainable, Sauvignon Blanc, White Wine, Seafood Soup, cioppino soup