It feels SO nice to finally be able to cook again! This InstantPot Baby and Kid Friendly Chili recipe is a life saver! The past few months has been utter chaos going back to work after a full year off on Maternity Leave, baby going to Daycare, us getting sick on Daycare germs, selling our apartment and buying/moving to our new house! Let’s just say we ate a LOT of take-out food!
I am in utter disbelieve that 1. summer completely disappeared; 2. it is already November; and 3. WordPress has already rolled out Gutenberg. If you feel like you’ve been living in a well like I have been, Gutenberg is the new editor. Lending from the Gutenberg who introduced printing to Europe way back in the 1400s. So if you must – WordPress is like Word and Gutenberg is like Canva – editing experience rebuilt for media rich pages and posts.
Blogging less the past few months has given me a new perspective. This little break was exactly what I needed even though I didn’t think so at the time. I’ve really enjoyed the busyness of Motherhood. Although it is REALLY tiring and sometimes I just want to hide in a closet and cry! BUT I’ve also really enjoyed cooking meals and experimenting with recipes that puts a BIG smile (and perhaps a happy dance) from Baby!
I don’t think our household would have survived with our InstantPot! If you still haven’t jumped on the InstantPotCult bandwagon, honestly, I don’t know what you are waiting for! I made this baby friendly chili recipe in less than 20 minutes.
There’s a lot of pride out there when it comes to chili recipes. Every household has one that they swear by, passed down from their grandmothers and their grandmother’s grandmother.
Baby loves to eat carbs on carbs on carbs. She would be completely satisfied living off bread and pasta only. But I don’t want my toddler to eat only carbs and refined sugars that are full of empty calories. I want my child to partake in healthy eating filled with nutrients that include fruit, vegetables, protein and some grains. That is why this chili recipe is perfect! It is filled with lots good nutrients and a lot of different textures that is fun to eat and for their little hands to explore (read: splatters on the food and wall – super frustrating haha)!
I like to use black beans and navy beans from Grain. Their beans are grown in Altona, Manitoba in Canada. If am I pressed for time then I normally used organic canned beans too. It doesn’t have to be black beans or navy beans. This recipe is fairly flexible – you can use kidney beans, mixed beans and even add lentils or chickpeas if you please. I also switched up using extra lean ground beef for ground turkey instead. I like using turkey meat instead because it is lighter. However, it really depends on the lean meat to fatty meat ratio. Plus if you make this after Thanksgiving – you will have plenty of turkey meat leftover! And if you prefer it meatless, then simply omit adding in the meat.
Just remember to omit the jalapeno peppers and chili powder. Baby and toddlers have more tastebuds than adults and it will be too much for your child!
Baby Friendly Turkey Chili Recipe
Baby friendly and Kid friendly Turkey chili recipe that is fun to eat and filled with vegetables, protein and fibre.
- 1/2 pound ground turkey
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 4 cloves garlic, diced
- 1 red bell pepper, diced
- 1 green bell pepper, diced
- 1 tomato, diced
- 2 jalapeno peppers, (thinly sliced if not for baby)
- Dash of chili powder
- Dash of chipotle powder
- 2 tsp chicken powder (stock broth mix)
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp cinnamon
- 1 tsp. cocoa powder
- 1/2 tsp cayenne
- 1/4 tsp oregano
- 28 fl. oz. can diced tomatoes (keep juice)
- 5.5 fl. oz. organic tomato paste
- 14 fl. oz. can black beans, drained
- 14 fl. oz. can red kidney beans, drained
- 1 cup water or use tomato juice from diced tomatoes
- 1 tsp balsamic vinegar
- Dash of salt and pepper
- Step 1 Heat up InstantPot in Saute mode (or heat oil in a large pot over medium heat), sweat onions and garlic.
- Step 2 Toss in ground turkey, breaking apart and stirring occasionally for 5 mins until browned.
- Step 3 Add in spices (chili powder, chipotle, paprika, cinnamon, cocoa, cayenne, oregano, chicken powder).
- Step 4 Add in peppers, tomatoes and liquid (tomato juice or water)
- Step 5 Add in black beans, kidney beans.
- Step 6 Cover Instantpot and set to Pressure Cook (high pressure) for 15 mins. You can add more time if you prefer your beans softer.
- Step 7 If you find it too watery for your preference, simmer in Saute mode for a few minutes to reduce.
- Step 8 Serve with warm fresh sourdough bread.
Pin the above image to your Baby Food and Kid Friendly recipe board to bookmark this page. We are so excited to share our recipes with you!
more: INSTANTPOT TAIWANESE GREEN ONION BEEF ROLLS RECIPE | 牛肉捲餅 | InstantPot Beef Brisket | Stir Fry Okra with Black Fungus 秋葵炒雲耳 | Black Moss Black Eye Bean Soup 髮菜眉豆花生排骨湯| Pig Trotter with Black Vinegar and Ginger Recipe 豬腳薑醋 | Best Seafood Clam Chowder Recipe
This post contains affiliate links and/or products submitted to Nomss for editorial consideration. To find out more, please visit our About/Disclaimer page.
Remove Ad-Block to view shopping guide!